Woodmagic Photos

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
JamsHundred

Woodmagic Photos

Post by JamsHundred »

Does anyone have a photo of Woodmagic Mink they woukd be willing to share for the Legacy online site pedigree. There are a few photos in the WM lines some may not have seen previously

If you have not visited and you enjoy pedigree research I think you will enjoy the many, many Dexters added born prior to 1940 with many old photos.

If you happen to have this photo email me at ShareTheLegacy@aol.com

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Judy
Tim Watson

Re: Woodmagic Photos

Post by Tim Watson »

Could you post a link to that site please?
Tim
JamsHundred

Post by JamsHundred »

http://legacydextercattleregistry.com/an_results.php

Hi Tim,

Yes. The link to the world ancestor files is above. There are changes in the works to add more definition, and though the search abilities, especially the customized search is great, I think some things need to be clearer.

The English and Irish entries are entered, for now, under registry "other". This will change soon.
To search for specific animals by registry number use EM for English male, IM for Irish male and EF for English female, IF for Irish female. If you just wish to search by name, ( or even partial name) then that is quite simple. The linked "forum" has a section which lists all the herd books entered complete to date. .. and those in process. The holidays have slowed it down a bit. When you have completed a search the information appears on the screen with an I ( information) or P (pedigree). Click on the pedigree button and you will have an extended pedigree with any added photos on your screen.

Once many of you see how interesting and informative the format I hope you will send me photos to add. It provides a visual link through the bloodlines.

For instance. .. If you put EM5542 in the search tool bar, ( WM Hedgehog 4) and click on the P button when his entry is displayed, this is what you will see: http://legacydextercattleregistry.com/p ... gno=EM5542

By the way. . . .. . . . if you click ( or double-click perhaps) on a photo then you get a regular sized photo.

Enjoy!

Judy
JamsHundred

Post by JamsHundred »

Tim,

The changes are mostly complete on the pedigree site now, and the English Dexters can be searched through the DCS category rather than "other" which included all of Europe, or searched with EM or EF for English male or English female.

The Irish entries are RDS and IM or IF.

Still seeking historical photos to add to the animal's listing. It is a great resource to have the five-line pedigree on the screen showing all the photos of the animals.

Those who would like to add their modern animals and photos are welcome as well, though available time is a factor. The fee to do so is $5.00 US. If you have genetic test results for chondro, PHA, color, polled,A2, those will be added to the information sheet as well.

Judy
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Judy, these English Dexters, who are they? Mine are UK Dexters :)

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
JamsHundred

Post by JamsHundred »

Oh dear Duncan. . . . . . . . . . . life has such complications! Your name is spelled with a Mac my birth name with a Mc. My ancestors go way back in Scotland as well as Ireland and when I was growing up I could never quite understand the difference of a Mac or a Mc. Actually I still do not.

There is always an effort for improvement of the pedigree site, so ideas and suggestions are always welcome. More old herdbooks and photos added and here I am begging for more.

Wish list for the large herds:
Woodmagic Photos
Ypsitty photos
Grinstead photos
Atlantic photos

ANY photo of a Dexter is appreciated.
Herdbooks VOL 24 through 31 needed in any shape or form.

Here is an example of how interesting a pedigree from the Legacy ancestor files can be. I will be most happy to add photos of the ancestors of your Dexters.
http://legacydextercattleregistry.com/p ... egno=37541

There is volumes of work completed on this site and much more to go. There is NO cost to anyone to benefit from, and enjoy the many hours of effort. This site is such a fantastic resource for members of this breed and those resources will continue to grow with time. Please help.

Also of interest. . . . . . . . .USED straws of AI bulls. Email or message me if you have anything.
Why do I want them? DNA can be extracted from a used straw. I primarily want them for color research.

I have been researching the color DUN for years. In the US the first documented dun animals did not appear until after imported animals from England in the mid 1950's. ( There was one early animal listed in the records as brown, but I throughly researched this cow and there was no evidence of color in any descendent, and then I found a photo of her and sure enough . . . . she was black. However, it is possible that any of the animals imported as "red" might have actually been dun. These animals imported in the mid 50's included Grinstead, Atlantic and Framfield lines. The DUN cattle in America prior to the Woodmagic imports of the late 1970's descended from GRINSTEAD AMBASSADOR. ( Not PLOVER). The other imports could also have been carrying dun recessive as they will trace back to Grinstead as do most living Dexters in the world today. I would like to see if I can find dun in any early AI bulls as I am convinced the dun color has existed in the breed since the early entries in the herdbooks and that the very reddish dun animals were entered as red. As a matter of fact, I think the early dun was a strong reddish tint, and that somewhere behind the Woodmagic lines there was a mutation to the color which lightened it to the blondish animals one saw in her herd. In America we had only one red cow that had a pedigree without any modern imports and only a few that preceded the imports post 1987 with ancestors in the appendix and experimental registries and it has been difficult indeed to pull red from these few animals! Yet, one will discover many, many, many, red animals listed in the early herdbooks, 21 pages of DCS animals at the moment, with names like Amber, Gold, Peach,Penny, Marigold, Toffee, Russet, Golden Crest, Golden Wren, and others which create a mental image of dun more than red for me. There are also many names that reflect the color red in the imagination. There were a number of red animals in the early Irish records as well. I am impatient to resolve the dun questions so if you have early photos of red animals, or even the Woodmagic dun animals. . . .. please consider sharing them.

Thanks much!
Judy