Election to Council

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jac

Election to Council

Post by Jac »

I do get exasperated when I see the words 'moving/going forward' in the synopsis and aims for all nominees standing for election to Council. I hope when I ring each one up to ask them which way it is they will have some good answers.
Last edited by Jac on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jac

Re: Election to Council

Post by Jac »

I wonder if it is time for the DCS like other charities to publicly advertise for trustees from all walks of life perhaps nothing to do with farming or livestock or indeed friends/family of those involved with the breed. I know that we all love our Dexters but is it because of this fact that we see things through 'rose coloured glasses' and fight to defend personal beliefs that may or may not necessarily be in the best interests of breed? A 50/50 ratio would be a healthy balance.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Feeling virtuous as I've now filled in my Proxy Vote form.
Also inspired by a story on BBC website news for Asia, about Chinese subversion and quest for democracy, which quotes George Bernard Shaw:
"the reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man".
Now, how many of the candidates proposed for election and claiming to improve/progress the breed fall within GBS definition?
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
ann

Post by ann »

I wonder if it is time for the DCS like other charities to publicly advertise for trustees from all walks of life perhaps nothing to do with farming or livestock or indeed friends/family of those involved with the breed.
I think this is a suggestion worth giving some thought to. Maybe it would be worth putting it forward for the next AGM. I know it would take at least 2years to implement if voted for, but would we get any nominees if, as members, we passed the resolution ?

I think it would get my vote.
Jac

Post by Jac »

... would we get any nominees if, as members, we passed the resolution ?
I don't know about that Ann? For anyone who was looking to improve their career prospects in a salaried position it is a good move with the 'training' now provided to board members.
car

Post by car »

Would it not be a good Idea to insist that members of council after three years must stand down and are not eligible to re stand for at least 6 years. Some of the reasons being........on top of normal running of business

Year 1 listen and learn ......history has a great role to play , learn about the society
Year 2 put forward a project / improvement ,etc ....put forward a well thought out and researched paper
Year 3 implement follow through ..if approved ,enlist help and take the project forward.
A good idea / project can be taken forward by any members of council.

To often members of council do or are accused of only working for their own self interest.
An extensive, well researched paper put forward to council stating the benefits to the whole society that would need to be voted on minuted ,would help to eradicate this practice.

It is often said, if you want things to change "put yourself up for council" with the present system it can be a fruitless task.
If the same old clicks are in place, it is very difficult for an individual ,however good their ideas are,to break through the barriers.

There would still be the important consistency, but less of the bad clicks moving in the wrong direction, if we moved people on after three years. Again good ideas well thought out and well implemented , can be directed by anyone.

Let's please go back to the dexters and all the members being the most important thing in the society.

Self obsessed need not apply.!!!
Jac

Post by Jac »

Would it not be a good Idea to insist that members of council after three years must stand down and are not eligible to re stand for at least 6 years.
Yes, it is a good idea. In the event that there were too few coming forward to stand perhaps use a reserve from members of the public?
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

[quote=
Now, how many of the candidates proposed for election and claiming to improve/progress the breed fall within GBS definition?[/quote]

Louisa
Your posts are usually serious and scientific but this time I came to another conclusion. I did not understand the above GBS definition so I googled it
The answer was 'gay bowel syndrom'. I was shocked, what were you saying about all or any Council candidates!
It was a good ten minutes before I realised that GBH was George Bernard Shaw whom I greatly admire

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Louisa Gidney wrote:which quotes George Bernard Shaw:
Ian, I think you are guilty of skip reading! Since I explicitly introduced the quote with the above phrase, I thought GBS would subsequently be self explanatory.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham