Bull Semen

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
ann

Bull Semen

Post by ann »

I recently had an inquiry passed onto me by the DCS (not sure why) as a member wished to purchase some semen, being helpful I said i would e-mail him details of bulls advertised in the bulletin and discovered that the only ones in there are now ones that the office could have sent him details about. When did people stop advertising in the bulletin and where do they advertise now.
Jac

Re: Bull Semen

Post by Jac »

There seems to be a general shortage of new bulls coming on AI especially red ones. There must also be lots of straws collected over the years that folk no longer want. I was counting up the ones I have stored with Genus from various bulls £700 worth at DCS member prices. Put non-specific ad on my web site but no takers so gave up.
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

It's not just semen, it's bulls for hire. What puts me off advertising in Bulletin is the requirement for bulls to be linear assessed before they can be advertised. I don't have either a crush or hardstanding, so that isn't going to happen. Before that, bulls had to have chondrodysplasia test. When that became mandatory, I did consider advertising but the goal posts then moved for Linear Assessment to be necessary.
There has to be a balance between maintaining the quality of breeding sires generally available and a minority of breeders controlling access to sires through these restrictive requirements.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Jac

Post by Jac »

I would have thought that the cost of putting a bull on AI in the first place would ensure a reasonable degree of quality control.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

AI advertised bulls need to have linear assessment, not bulls for hire.
As for the quality of bulls on AI in the past, its people who can afford to take semen who did it. the quality of the bull did not always matter.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I have Seamer Supreme Ricard straws at Genus for sale.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Jac

Post by Jac »

Mark Bowles wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm AI advertised bulls need to have linear assessment, not bulls for hire.
As for the quality of bulls on AI in the past, its people who can afford to take semen who did it. the quality of the bull did not always matter.
What is the difference between hiring and AI in terms of numbers covered as AI doesn't seem to be very popular. Don't get me wrong I can see the sense in choosing a linear assessed animal (if deemed to be compatible) if you are not able to see the animal in person (or are inexperienced in these matters) and I am sure most would choose accordingly given a choice.

I think the advertising position of bulls in general needs to be looked at as according to the Bulletin Issue 192 P44 it does state "All alive bulls advertised in the Bulletin are required to be ... and Linear Classified"
Jac

Post by Jac »

Mark Bowles wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm I have Seamer Supreme Ricard straws at Genus for sale.
Really could do with a few of those straws Mark.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I took them from him on farm about 7 years ago, he was 11 years old I think, no problem.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
moomin

Post by moomin »

Hi Ann,
I stopped advertising in the bulletin as I could not justify the cost. It is at least £25.00 to put an advert in and with the uptake, not really much demand in this country for AI bulls as most people keep their own bulls, being so low not worth it. We used to be able to advertise for about £9.00 as a service to members and the breed.
Would it be possible for you to put up a page specifically for advertising member's AI bulls rather than it being in miscellaneous Chris? It would be great if you would as we don't know when we will have another bulletin now Chris Sparrow has been relieved of her editorship.
[I think the misc. page needs a bit of an update. My truck is sold and Elmwood Mackoy is still there with Pat's name and address].
Thank you for this website Mark and Chris and allowing us all to express our opinions.
Di
P.S. I have semen for sale from Moomin Jupiter BD1N and Moomin Peejay BD1C
Jac

Post by Jac »

I know you are not a fan of facebook Louisa but there has been a debate going on in the closed group on bull inspection please consider joining your input would be invaluable.
justmalc

Post by justmalc »

Hello All,

Just seen this chain. We have straws available from Apple Coda (EX94). This has now been sold all over the world. COda was the National Show Champion in 2012 and straw sales have remained strong with many repeat customers. Sales this year include Switzerland, Australia, France and Finland. We have reduced our UK straw prices as Genus handling charges have increased.

Please message me for details of straws as advertising rates have made using the Bulletin an expensive option for U.K. Sales.

Many thanks,

Malcolm.
justmalc

Post by justmalc »

Sorry I meant to say that we've reduced our prices to just £9 a straw to try to help people out since the Genus handling charges went up a couple of years ago.

Best wishes,

Malcolm.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Mark Bowles wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 am I took them from him on farm about 7 years ago, he was 11 years old I think, no problem.
Thank you Mark straws arrived today.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Mark, what is the exact spelling of Seamer Supreme Ricard? I put him into search on Dex Site and can't find him.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/