Is it the end?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Is it the end?

Post by Mark Bowles »

With the world of facebook etc etc, is it time to end this discussion board. It has served its purpose for around 19 years, well before todays media,with the number of posts dropping away. I suppose I could just leave it here as a reference as there is so much in here to access whereas facebook content is not really the same.What do you users say?
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
nuttalls

Re: Is it the end?

Post by nuttalls »

I hope not, see how many replies you get the and that will decide for you
j.nuttall
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hi Mark,

Hope you continue with the Discussion Board, we had a serious issue with Facebook and will not have another account with them, also surprisingly a lot of people do not have access or want access to a Facebook. It does appear to have been quiet of late but the value of the site is that the discussion topics are listed on the index, easy to follow. Don’t change if it’s not broken.

Mark S

Brereton Herd
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I'm another who won't engage with Facebook's efforts at world domination. I'm also on another forum which doesn't get many new posts but still has a steady traffic for the archive content. The Private Message facility here is still very useful when my email account is being unco-operative. There still seem to be regular posts of stock for sale, which is a great help in putting a value on one's own beasts. I would appreciate it if you continued to maintain the site.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Louisa, I will continue the cattle sales just thinking of this discussion board. As it proves, its the same people posting most of the time.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
moomin

Post by moomin »

Hi Mark,
I think we need to keep the discussion board-it could be very useful in the future. Just because people are not posting doesn't mean they are not reading it.
The DCS has two Facebook pages only open to members, one active which Duncan apparently controls, and one on the DCS official site which seems to have died.
With the demise of our Bulletin we need some way to communicate with Dexter owners so we can all keep in touch.
As above many people don't do facebook.
Please keep it going.
Di
P.S. Does it cost to keep it going? If so I would be prepared to contribute as I am sure many others would.
P.P.S. Just an idea. "Dexter Beef for Sale" With the demise of the DCS beef scheme in Great Britain any chance of setting something up so we could promote and advertise our beef? [If you had nothing else to do Mark!!] I am sure Felicity would help.
ann

Post by ann »

Hi I would certainly be sorry to see this go, just because people don't post does not mean they are not checking in, what ever you decide to do, I for one has certainly appreciated all the work you have put into this board.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I hope it keeps going, it is different to Facebook, a Facebook Post is hard to find a few weeks later and impossible a few years later!
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
debra wiltshire

Post by debra wiltshire »

I can only echo all the above...although after 19 years I could well understand if you have had enough. Debs
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Its the only forum I come back to to search for info in earlier topics. And doesn't currently suffer from the adverts we have to put up with on other platforms.

my only comment would be that the wanted and sales sections could do with an update.

Laura bought our bull two years ago at York, and I am assuming the cattle truck must have been sold by now.

Keep up the good work
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Lasserade

Post by Lasserade »

I do use Face book and do look in on the Dexter cattle page on there. The traffic is not vast. It is good for easy access to Photos, but as others have mentioned there is no static content. By that I mean each time you go on you get a differant subset of entrys. This means that past things you have read you may not find later. The search is (quite frankly) dreadful. It probably involves an AI gess-what-they-are-trying-to-look-for algorithm, which never quite work. You can KNOW that you have seen something on there and never find it again.
Yes, agreed, it is trying to take over the world but as the above ilustration is an example of, they will never get there.
(If you are wondering - Yes I was a computer programmer).
Good luck everyone.
I may not post again as I have been forced by my husbands health problems to give up our small herd of Dexters.
Anybody in France in need of a small herd of Pedigree Dexters?
Chrissie

GreenMan Dexters,
Midi-Pyrenees, France.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Chrissie, have you tried Kate Pude, she may be able to help.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Jac

Post by Jac »

I think it would be a shame if the discussion board was discontinued. I agree that folk are not posting on it as much as they used to but I am not sure it is all to do with facebook - perhaps just a general malaise that seems to be affecting Dexter breeders with the change of direction that has taken place.
pateshill

Post by pateshill »

Hi Mark

I hope you keep this site it has been a great help to me since i started keeping dexter

I am always checking it for any new post to read and learn from.
moomin

Post by moomin »

Mark a lot of people I have spoken to read this discussion board but are unable to log on to write anything . I have suggested they contact you to update things. Please if you are reading this contact Mark and update your log in details. We need this discussion board to become vibrant again like it used to be.