Equipment - Hard to find equipment for Dexters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Martin

Post by Martin »

I have recently purchased some Dexters, and am having dificulty sourcing a cattle crush suitable for use with them. Does anyone have any info on companies that make equipment suitable for our chosen breed?
I have aproached a couple of agricultural companies and they seem to want to sell me a 'yearling crush'. As I am planning to breed for beef my cattle are on the larger end of the scale and I do not believe this will be suitable, especially for a fully grown longer legged bull. I am prepared to purchase brand new, as I see this as a one off purchase and I should never have to buy another.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
louise

Post by louise »

My larger type beefy Dexters fit perfectly well into a normal but aged crush unless they have big horns.
jane

Post by jane »

Hi, The crush we purchased has an IAE Saracen yoke, with a locally built box. It's similar to the older style crush, not as complicated as those being sold for continential cattle and it's worked well enough so far. Like you we have larger beef type Dexters, including a bull with horns.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Hello Martin,

If my tuppence worth is any help to you ...what Louise and Jane are saying applies to Dexters here in Australia... the (my)longlegs fit into the commercial beef crush fine... and if you have any full grown animals with horns you will need the full opening so they/you can get their heads thru (my first bull was a shortleg with huge horns and at the time I had him I was leasing a property with a commercial beef crush in the yards ... and he had to turn his head on the side to get them thru the opening)... realy the only problems you would have is if the crush has a bar at the front which is horizontal (and I am not familiar with those that have been suggested so I do not know if these do - or dont - have this problem)

In any case if you are handy with steel or wood you could always make your own... If you have no idea on how to build one I have sent a copy of head bale to other british dexter breeders and they seemed most happy with it.

All the best
Kathleen.
andy

Post by andy »

The IAE yearling crush is / was also marketed as a "Dexter Crush" I have one and do not have a problem fitting larger "long legs" into it. The only thing that will not fit is the larger of my bulls. IAE have a website - try http://www.iae.co.uk/products/crushcat/page1.html

Andy