Digestion - Problems with calf

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
RegK

Post by RegK »

Hi everyone. I have been spectating until I plucked up the nerve to 'go public'! It is a problem with my heifer calf that finally made me take the plunge and I hope that someone may be able to help? I have a non short cow and calf, the cow being in calf as well. I've had them 2 months and are my first experience at cattle keeping. Yesterday the calf had diarrhoea, very liquid, very pale brown and very very smelly (could drop a Canary at 100 yards upwind!). She seems OK today but wondered if a sour mix of molassed sugar beet could have caused this. I checked the mix today (it's only 18 hours old) and it wasn't very sweet smelling, also the cow wouldn't touch it. The calf seems otherwise fine. Should I be worried? Any help appreciated!

Thanks to all other contributers for an interesting site. I hope I can help in future, too.
Reg.
Marg Rawlings

Post by Marg Rawlings »

Hi Reg

The priority is to make sure the calf does not dehydrate. We have used Natural Yoghurt to help get the gut back in balance after an animal has had the scours. I find that the calf will come and lick it from your hands if it is feeling unwell.

Also provide some good dry matter, hay is good to help settle an upset belly.

Just monitor and see how you go.

Glad you plucked up the courage to go on the board, it is here to help everyone, so if you don't ask we can't help you

Good luck with your cows

Marg Rawlings
Marg Rawlings
Rawlings Dexter Stud
Tasmania Australia
www.dexterbeef.com.au
RegK

Post by RegK »

Hi Marg, I'm very pleased to say that little Maggie is a whole lot better now. I suspect that it was because she had just started eating coarse rations and previously it was just milk and grass. So once again all on the small holding is rosey!

Regards,

Reg.
Reg.