Traditional & Native Breed Sale, Melton Mowbray

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

The breed sale take place on 10th & 11th Sept ( Fri, Sat)
There are 27 catalogue entries to include 4 bulls,9 cows (some with calves at foot),3 heifers born in 2002 and 11 heifers born in 2003.
For those looking for short legged cattle there will be a number there,some of which have been shown.
The show takes place on Friday, not all cattle for sale are entered in the show. The sale starts on Saturday at 11am.
If its of interest there are 750 sheep entered,plus pigs and poultry,all native breeds.
Catalogue from Melton Mowbray Market Auctioneers on 01664 562971 @ £2.50 inc postage.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

This sounds similar to a show/sale in Bristol which is a bit later in the month. But not late enough for me to get organised to take some of my Shetlands sheep to. In fact the entry for the Bristol one closed last week, about 4 days after I heard about it - maybe I'm just plain disorganised!
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

This sounds similar to a show/sale in Bristol which is a bit later in the month. But not late enough for me to get organised to take some of my Shetland sheep to. In fact the entry for the Bristol one closed last week, about 4 days after I heard about it - maybe I'm just plain disorganised!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

This sale is supported by the RBST, a replacement show for the old RBST event at Stoneleigh.
There are approx 120 rare and native breed cattle forward inc the Dexters.
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Well, hold onto your hats, folks, I'm going to be at the Melton Mowbray show!!! At the moment, sitting at my computer in my home on Canada's west coast it doesn't seem real but the flight is booked, all my British friends have received fair warning and my Brit rail pass is itchin' to be used. See you at the show!

Kathy :laugh:
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
mike D

Post by mike D »

Anybody returning to / through Hereford area with trailer??
I may need transport if I cant keep my hands in my pockets
andy

Post by andy »

A reasonable selection of animals forward. There was a surplus of buyers and good prices obtained. Red non-short cow with red non-short heifer calf at foot. 1350 Guineas. Short Black cows to 980 Guineas. Non short weaned heifers to 660 Guineas. Black short leg weaned heifers to 820 Guineas.
Bulls to 540 Guineas.
Thanks to Lisa Bell for supplying Rosettes and a new trophy. It's a shame the DCS did not supply the promotional stand or any official presence. We were the only breed without one.
:(
The local group stand was there flying the flag.
We had a Canadian visitor to see how it was done and she was made to feel welcome I hope. :;):
A full report will appear in the bulletin.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I would like to add my thanks to Lisa Bell (and Philip) for her support of the show and sale. It is sad that it was down to an individual to sponsor the show out of their own pocket when this is a national breed sale of this size.

All breeds reported higher prices including the poultry, pigs and sheep!
The amount of buyers filled the car parks to bursting point.
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Just a quick note (I'm still in the UK!) to say THANK YOU to Andy and Sherry for their fantastic hospitality. They even allowed me to show one of their heifers and you will never know how much that has meant to me. Lovely to meet many of the other Dexter folks and special thanks to Stephen for the ride to Eccleshall and the tour of his farm. Will tell more later.

Bye,

Kathy Millar, the Canadian at the MM show and sale.
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
andy

Post by andy »

It was our pleasure Kathy. Good to see you again and nice to be able to repay your hospitality. We are glad you enjoyed it.

Andy and Sherry