Dexter milk vs Jersey milk

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Thanks Duncan; You are right of course, about 'generalizations' and I apologize if it appears that I am doing that. Working with milk and turning it into cheese is a bit of a passion for me and my assumptions about the Bf content, are only because of the average yields of certain soft and hard cheeses over the years with my Dexters. Not very much information is available about 'Dexter' milk and it's various components and my not very scientific observations have led me to believe that I was averaging a little over 4% in the Bf department and so I was quite surprised at how different the Bf was in milk that I thought was similar in content. (That was probably clear as mud!) Milking Dexters are less common here in Canada than the UK and so I was hoping that someone could give me input about what I saw. Liz
forestblaze

Post by forestblaze »

UK Dexter bulletin Feb 2002 no 148 pages 13 and 14 Dexter milk records ,National Milk Records1998 1999 . These yields are those given by our cows after the calves have had their fill .MILLIE -Dexter 2186kg fat 4.25 prot 3.77 3rd lactation. JENNY Jersey 2193kg fat 4 .22 prot 3.28 1st lactation .JOJO -Dexter 1585kg fat 3.63 prot 3 .00 1st lactation. COLA-Dexter 2569kg fat 3.63 prot 3.17 8th lactation.DULCIE -Dexter 2994kg fat 3.26 prot 3.35 11th lactation . We have been told by the NMR. that the fat globules in Dexter milk are smaller than those of commercial dairy cattle and are more easily digested and are lower in cholestrol so Dexter people perhaps you should throw away the semi skimmed and buy a milking stool . I have some great recipes if you are interested. regards Sue Osborne
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Thank you so much Sue! What fabulous information! So it isn't my imagination, the globules are truley smaller. I really wish more people would milk over here...don't suppose you would like to write an article for our bulletin? :p I think next year I'll look into the possibility of getting my girls' milk tested it is a little late in their lactation for a 'true' picture this year. I don't suppose you have a recipe for a good 'blue' up your sleeve do you? Thanks again, Liz
marion

Post by marion »

Hi Kathy, I made some butter from my Dexter milk in the spring and it formed quite quickly. Mostly, it doesnt get a chance to be butter; I just eat the cream by spoon from the top of the bottle :D (oink).....
Marion Cdn.
forestblaze

Post by forestblaze »

Liz this recipe is well worth trying DEXTER CREAM LIQUEUR with a little help from a Jersey perhaps, half pint cream, small tin of condensed milk, half mug of whisky or brandy, 2 teaspoons of coffee diluted in a little warm water. Mix all together until smooth and creamy, and enjoy. I will e mail you with more for your bulletin over the weekend. Best wishes Sue
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Thanks Sue; That's very generous. I look forward to hearing from you ... and that liquure sounds wickedly dangerous. Definate holiday menu item! Kathy when I make butter from Dexter milk,unless it is either the begining or the end of their lactation when the milk has a higher Bf content, I culture it slightly,or ripen the milk, so that it will churn more easily. Or I cheat and use the electric blender and then who care how long it takes, my arm doesn't notice!! :laugh: Liz