Fatten at 24 Months

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
oliver1921

Post by oliver1921 »

Is it possible to organically rear a dexter to kill weight at 24 months - we are running nearer to 28-30 months and with all the new regulations coming in for butchering wondered if anyone had a magic formular. we normally suckle our calves to 9 months before we wean them - would we be better weaning earlier.

Any suggestions, magic formulas welcomed
Penny

Post by Penny »

We are not registered organic, but are as near as #### it. I just cannot cope with any more paperwork. I do use cattle wormer though, as I refuse to lose money and health of my cattle to a worm!
I would say the magic formula very much depends on your land. We have plenty of clover to fix the Nitrogen into the soil, and the cattle do very well on it. I also will only feed them hay/haylage that smells good enough for me to eat! Cut at the right time of year and not too damp otherwise it is in one end and out the other............
The non-short boys get to a good 400kg by 24 months, with just the right covering of fat. My customers definitely do not like lean dexter beef. They are allowed to stay on their mums until the mums kick them off at approx 10 months. You definitely do not need to wean them earlier! You will be just losing a free source of nutrition, Mother Nature's Best.

So you see, it is not a Magic formula at all, just straight forward good quality natural nutrition and making sure there is no worm burden.

I have taken the stock on to 30 months, but like you, am changing back to 24 months because of increased charges and also because having looked at the weights,there is not significant gain in quantity or quality in those last 6 months. Kill before then and and I believe the flavour is not as marked.
Penny
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

Have I missed some new regulations (perish the thought!) Is there any difference in regulations between 24 months and just under 30 months?

One query: Highland cattle have a sepecial permision to go past 30 months (I believe) Do they have to go through extra rigmarole or are they just treated as if they were under 30 months?
oliver1921

Post by oliver1921 »

We are advised that over 24 months they have to go to certtified butchers and will be blue marked so will not looked good in the display cabinet at the butchers. We welcome the comments regarding worming - what is your regime - do you winter inside or outside like we do!
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

Obvious question I should have added before, are you in the UK?

I've never heard of "Blue marking" for beef over 24 months?
Penny

Post by Penny »

Yes, I am sure Oliver is in the UK, and I hate to say it Peter, but you must have missed some of the legislation!
There are now THREE systems on the go for butchering beef, depending on the age of the animal. All butchers can take animals up to 24 months of age. Only those with licenses can take animals from 24-30 months of age, and the backbone must be dyed and disposed of in seperate bins ( adding to the cost of butchering, and of course over 30 month animals are also allowed back in the food chain, but there are even fewer premises licensed to do this! On top of this, over 24 month carcasses are not allowed to come into contact with those under 24 months. There has been information written about this before on the website, so I'll not repeat it all
An abattoir has to check that they are sending an over 24 month animal to a licensed establishment, if they are not, they have to cut out the backbone, so T-bones on this age of animal is a thing of the past
There is nothing detrimental about the beef by being marked as over 24 months

Unless it is really wet, my herd are allowed to wander in and out of the barns as they chose during the winter, and I will worm at this time of year and again once it is warm, around end of May. All brought in stock is also wormed as soon as they step onto the place.

Hope this helps
penny
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

Thanks Penny. I had no idea about all of that!!!
My abbatoir is also the butchers so I guess they must be licensed. I must remember to ask them if there is any difference in cost.
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Thanks Penny for the info about flavour and size (24 mos vs 30) We were actually wondering. The last steer sent was 27 mos and 'grass-fed' except that mine are all given about 1/2 pound of grain every second day...for 'escape' purposes. Much easier if they are all 'addicted' to grain to get the odd one back in fencing, should he escape!. Prior to the 27 mos being shipped,we had only tasted beef from 18 mos and were under impressed! 27 mos was/is really nice and we were wondering if there would be a marked difference later on in the taste. Better for both the pocketbook and the land if there isn't! Liz
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Took in my first Dexter steer this fall at 28 months. Totally grass/hay fed, never grained. He was small as a calf and never got really masculine looking (out of Saltaire Platinum) but he killed out at 430 lbs. hung weight. So far have only weighed out one half which came to 109 lbs. so more than 50% loss from hung weight.

The meat is dark and seems like quite a bit of flavour but I have not eaten commercial beef for so many years can't remember what it tastes like. And the meat is tender. The butcher said it looked excellent and had good fat cover and very good marbling. Not sure how long it hung but may have been more than 2 weeks.
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We regularly take animals for slaughter at 20/21 months and our butchers say they are just right. All are totally grass-fed on new leys with a lot of clover content, with Hay/Haylage/Silage being used indoors in the winter.
Clive
groubearfarm

Post by groubearfarm »

I think alot depends on the animal. I have steers that are ready at 20 months (esp short legs) and some that at thirty months I feel have not reached their full potential.
Fiona Miles
Groubear Dexters 31527
Groubear Farm
Cruwys Morchard
Devon