Calves feeding

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

What percentage of Dexter calves fail to find the udder unaided? Also is there a surefire way of telling if a babe has not fed? This is becoming a bit of an issue - I don't have the time to watch constantly and increasingly I find that my frequent visits to check newcomers are not coinciding with seeing them take a feed. I don't want to disturb the natural bonding process by getting them in and trying to intervene but neither do I want my precious babes to starve to death. Any advice welcomed.
monica waltho

Post by monica waltho »

Hi Sylvia,
Fortunatley,it is a fairly rare occurance in my experience. I tend to keep a bit more of a watchful eye on first calf heifers as they can be a bit fidgety, any cow with a very low udder or anything that has had a prolonged calving. Most calves are on their feet in about 15mins (although some can take up to an hour)and trying to feed.The first dung the calf does is black usually expelled when they have had their first feed turning to yellow when the milk gets through.A calf that has fed will usually have a firm stomach , if a calf hasn't fed it will appear very hollow .If you have any calf who appears listless within 24-30 hrs of cavling you need to act quickly.
If you have doubts beforehand its best to intervene,it very rarely affects bonding it can be a hassle to get them in but as I said its quite rarely neccessary .I have a 12 year old cow who is short-legged and has a low udder. the calf suckled sucessfully for 48hrs or so then her milk yield increased and her udder became very full. Due to this or tthat the cows udder beame tender th e calf couldnt suckle or she wouldn't let it the calf stopped feeding on her . I had assumed that they were fine until I noticed the calf acting strange trying to suck her vulva. So intervention was necessary She tried to kick hell out of me and the calf with the help of a kick bar and udder cream I managed to feed the calf after 48hrs they were both fine but I kept her in for a weekto make sure.This is the 6th calf she has had with me and never had any problems with her calves feeding but it shows that even when they have been feeding well to start with prolems can happen later.
hope this has been of some help
Monica
Smallwood Dexters
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Thanks Monica, especially for the info about older cows with low udders, we haven't got to that stage yet. Obviously if the calf looked anything but perky I'd intervene, it is the little blighters who look perfectly ok, warm enough etc but never feed when I can see them that just up the stress level a bit. After posting the message I went out and he was sucking very professionally with a 'fooled you' look on his face. :)
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Sylvia, I go through this every time something calves or lambs! I always remember what my vet said: "If it comes out, then it must have gone in" meaning, watch to see if the little guy pees. Often easier to catch them peeing than it is to see them feeding!

Kathy
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada