Bulling - How soon after calving

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
kenseypark

Post by kenseypark »

Hi, This may seem a silly question to those of you who have been breeding for years, however, how soon after calving will the cow come bulling? I want to turn the cows/calves out onto the meadow but the bull and a bullock are on the meadow and i don't want the bull to cover the cows yet as its too early, as i don't want calves until at least May next year. I've got the other half to 'finish' some gates/fencing on our field behind the house so we are going to move 'the boys' onto that paddock now, but was still wondering what the answer is please?
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Cows will start coming in season remarkably quickly after calving, sometimes within 2 or 3 weeks, but the conception rate will be lower than when the are served at 8 weeks after calving. So although the conception rate might be low if you have a bull with the cows you could expect some early calves. If you do not want calves till May don't have the bull in with the cows till July. As a general guide all cows should be seen cycling (oestrus cycle, not mountain bike) by 42 days after calving. If they have not been then it is time to start getting the vet to look at them since you need to start serving them at the first heat after 56 days to be sure they will calve within the year. Probably most Dexter owners are not so obsessed by calving intervals as big time dairy farmers are nowadays.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Inger

Post by Inger »

We put the bull into the herd 2 months after the end of calving. That suits our seasons well.
Inger
NZ
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I was going to let my bull back in with calvers in two weeks time (2 months after calving on average), but he just lifted the gate off it's hinges and did it himself!
Clive
Duncan MacIntyre

See how clever Dexters are! Hope he shut it after him. He will most likely have hung his genes on the fence and be getting on with things.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

:D :D :D
Clive
Duncan MacIntyre

Afterwards he will let you know when he is dun.
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
ann

Post by ann »

thats why I have electric fences across all the gates if there is a bull around, especially the one into my yard as any trailer turning up, the boy's are sure there is a girl in there for them and just wouldn't wait

thats the trouble with us females, we are spoil sports

:D :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

As I wish to calve in March/April I put the bull with the cows at the end of May/begining of June. I have one cow that only calved on 13th May, she will come bulling when she's ready not when the bull wants her to.
Moomin Apollo (thanks Di) was turned out with the cows Saturday just past, and seems to be enjoying his new hareem of ladies.
Have you noticed that if you introduce a new cow to the herd there is always a lot of fighting and bickering, introduce a new bull and no one challenges him?

Martin. Medway Valley Dexters, Kent.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Hope you get on well with Apollo, what i mean is i hope he clicks with your female, we have 6 heifers from him so far after borrowing him last year.All 6 look good (3 shorts) Thanks Di.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Martin

Post by Martin »

Cow that calved on 13th May was seen dancing with Apollo last night 16 days after calving!
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Since I use AI only, I tend to watch my girls very closely re bulling. Usually after calving they cycle at around the two week mark although I had one start on her 9th day, part horse I think :p and a first time calver at about three weeks. I don't usually usually try AIing until the heat that would be around 60 days though because my tech told me that the fertility rate is best after 60 days and I try not to waste straws. Liz (cdn)
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Hello Kenseypark, you seem to have missed out on our new 'welcoming committee' treatment and just got thrown in without a word about this being your first post too. I hope you didn't find the experience too daunting and that you will be back for more. :)