News from the states? - Whats happening to the ADCA?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
andy

Post by andy »

Is there any of our friends from North America who would like to enlighten us as to what is happening to their Dexter Association please?

Andy (Brambledel Dexters)
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Andy, ask Carol Davidson!

Kathy
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
andy

Post by andy »

Hi Kathy.

How are you. Still dry over there I see from your other post! Does it ever rain there?
Carol D - If you read this board maybe you would like to give us an insight in to the split in the ADCA please.

Andy
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Hi, Andy,

No, it doesn't rain here anymore, at least not in the summer. All the pasture is now burnt up and I am feeding hay It's supposed to get up to plus 90'F tomorrow and not get much cooler at night. So those of you who are complaining about cloudy weather and rain (where are you??) should count your blessings or at least your grass! I guess the positive side of all this is that we can make pretty good hay here but thank goodness for all those irrigated fields from whence my sheep hay comes.

Kathy who is dying in this heat. :(
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
Richard ~

Post by Richard ~ »

Greetings from North America!

It appears that I'm a few months late with regards to what's happening to the ADCA. I won't rehash it all because there's a website - http://www.adcatakeover.com that covers a lot of the gory details that led up to the division for those interested. In some ways the old association is now a new association and I'm now with the new old association, PDCA. Hopefully I'm not confusing everyone, but I thought it important to let our friends across the pond know how to get in touch with some old familiar Dexter breeders.

Rosemary Fleharty is the Secretary/Registrar now for the Purebred Dexter Cattle Association of North America (PDCA). The PDCA website is - http://www.purebreddextercattle.org/ which will provide you with information about the Association and our Dexter breeders.

Now that I have that out of the way, I want to say hello to all of those in the U.K. that I feel like I know from reading the excellent publication that Eileen Hayes has produced over the past several years.

So hello, with all best regards,

Richard Henry ~
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Richard,
you make it sound like the ADCA is no longer, and that's not true. Some folks decided to form their own association and that's who the breakaway people are, the PDCA, as Richard explained. The ADCA and it's registry are still there, you can read about the news here http://www.dextercattle.org/

Carol K
Richard ~

Post by Richard ~ »

Carol K,

My apologies if I made it sound like the ADCA no longer existed. I assumed most people were already aware of the ADCA website and so my purpose was to inform them of the PDCA's website since this is new and not yet listed on the links. There are those that may have met Wes Patton during the first World Dexter Congress and have known Dean and Rosemary Fleharty for many years. There might also be a few that remember myself during my years as editor of the Bulletin, which I hope is somewhat of a good memory. :) I was always a proponent of Dexter associations sharing information internationally and the editors from Australia and the U.K. were always a pleasure to work with. Associations working together is good for Dexter cattle everywhere and so hopefully I've conveyed to those that may not have heard of the PDCA that we're old friends. That's not meant as a slight to the current ADCA, but a reassurance to our friends here on behalf of the PDCA.

Richard ~
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks both for keeping us in the picture. Does each association recognise animals from the other or does it mean there will be two totally seperate herdbooks? Will an animal from one association be allowed to breed with one from another?

Andy
Richard ~

Post by Richard ~ »

Andy,

Yes, there are now two separate registries. With regards to the PDCA, ADCA animals registered prior to 7/17/04 are allowed for registration in the PDCA. ADCA animals registered after 7/17/04 would be evaluated on an animal per animal basis before allowance into the PDCA registry.

Richard ~
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks Richard. I find the situation of two breed societies representing the same breed bemusing and intriguing. I am not taking a dig at either side. Perhaps its because I find dealing with one Society over here is bad enough - having two would give me a headache :p

Regards and best wishes from the UK

Andy
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

No problem Richard, just wanted to make that clear.

Andy, I think after this last stressful few months everyone is hoping that things will mellow down and people can devote time to Dexters and not politics. I hope both the ADCA and the PDCA can contribute towards the betterment of Dexters.

Carol K