DEXTERS IN DANGER FROM F & M - BREEDS AT RISK REGISTER

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
LISA

Post by LISA »

TODAY WE RECIEVED A LETTER FROM THE LONGHORN CATTLE SOCIETY (SENT TO ALL ITS MEMBERS SINCE F&M OUTBREAK)IT STRONGLY ADVISES REGISTERING YOUR HOLDING IF THEY HAVE RARE/TRADITIONAL BREEDS ON THEM.THIS IS TO POSSIBLY BE SPARED FROM A CONTIGUOUS CULL IF F&M BREAKS OUT IN YOUR AREA.TO APPLY THE SITE NAME IS WWW.grassroots.co.uk/bar.html IT WAS VERY EASY TO JOIN. HOWEVER I AM EXTREEMLY ANGRY AND QUITE FRANKLY ASTONISHED TO FIND THE DEXTERS NOT ON THE LIST.THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER BREEDS WHO ARE NUMERICALLY MUCH LARGER BUT THEY ARE LISTED.THIS IS AN APPEAL TO COUNCIL MEMBERS OR WHOEVER HAS ANY CLOUT WITH R.B.S.T OR DEFRA TO GET OUR BREED ON-AND QUICKLY!
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

This is an issue which Council have been aware of for some time, it first surfaced for members of the Scottish group when we realised that Dexters were not allowed in some of the schemes for special EU grants. I do not apply for any grants so cannot tell you exactly which schemes we were ruled out of, but initially we thought it was because the Dexter had not been deemed to be a Scottish native breed. However it appears to be the case that because it is an Irish native breed it cannot be a UK native breed. Various arguments have been tried and none seems to carry any weight. I am not on Council so cannot update you on any Council discussions on the subject.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Colin

Post by Colin »

But Irish Moiled cattle are accepted in the Breeds at Risk Register, so if this is the argument there a double standard. Irish Moiled has a long ancestry in Ireland, similar to Dexters.

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I looked at the list on the site where you register and Dexters weren't on it.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thankyou Lisa, useful information,

I got quite excited at first as I have Greyface Dartmoor Sheep and they ARE on the list but it turns out I don't have enough numbers, I need at least 16 breeding females ( that is if you have rare sheep and 8 if you have cattle.) Seems quite high numbers for rare breeds, so anyway no luck for me either but I will pass it on to the Greyface site, thanks Lisa.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
groubearfarm

Post by groubearfarm »

Yes, this is a problem which Council are aware of, (it has been highlighted on the DCS website). The Irish Government claimed the Dexter as an Irish Native Breed, although the Dexter were I believe extinct in Southern Ireland at one stage and have been reintroduced from here. Unfortunately due to the changes in government and the Agricultural Minister the committee which removed us off the list has not been reformed which means we cannot do anything about the problem at present. Di Smith is monitoring the situation and is hopefull that this can be sorted as we do fit the criteria of a British Native Breed, she is due to report back at out next Council Meeting.
Fiona Miles
Groubear Dexters 31527
Groubear Farm
Cruwys Morchard
Devon
Penny

Post by Penny »

I wrote to the Dexter Cattle Society a long time ago regarding this, when the "protection from contiguous cull" bill was first introduced. (It does not mean that you will not be culled, but registration helps flag up herds that may be given extra protection rather than being included in a blanket cull)
I had a letter back saying that Mary Kay had tried to get the Dexter on the list but because it was now classified an "Irish" breed, this would not be allowed.
My point of arguement is that Dexters may be off the Rare breed list, but another F&M outbreak and the problems with TB could soon put them back on if the RBST does not offer any support.
It is the action of the RBST to reclassify the Dexters that has caused this problem ( and the inability to have DExters included on the HLS.)
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

As a both a new member and a new keeper of cattle I chose Dexters as they met my requirements i.e. hardy, easy to handle, good beef etc. whether they are on an at Breeds at Risk register or not was irrelevant.

If Dexters no longer get some level of protection as they have been removed from the register then surely all your past efforts have been a success?
Is the RBST decision based purely on the background of the breed or the number and geographical spread of the breed? I certainly had dozens of breeders to choose from in the surrounding counties compared with only a couple of breeders for Oxford Sandy Black pigs.
Is the Dexter breed really at risk or do some lament the a perceived loss of status?

I think my point is:

1. I expect DEFRA to do its upmost to prevent the spread of this disease and protection of a particular breed is secondary and should be strictly reserved for those breeds genuinely at risk.
2. Surely the focus should be on success of the breed, certainly my decision to choose Dexters was based on the efforts of those that have worked hard to promote the breed for its qualities and not some status given to them.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

How many Dexters are there in the UK? Anyone know? or guess?
Clive
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

How many Dexters are there in the UK? Anyone know? or guess?

Have a look on http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh....k06.pdf page 21

Only lists "Dexter and cross" not pure bred Dexter = 22,772 making them the 20th most popular breed out of a total of 177 breeds. The "Rare breeds" listed have <6,000 animals registered.

Having said that Longhorn and cross = 15,117 but the RBST have to draw a line somewhere.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

That's the sort of figure I would have guessed at. Around 20,000 head. I would have thought that most Dexters, or say 80% plus, are probably pure, whether registered or not.

Not exactly rare then really.
Clive
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

The importance of being registered as a native breed has nothing to do with being rare. The point is that certain grant funding or subsidies is not available unless ground is stocked with native breeds. So there may be serious financial loss to some Dexter owners if they continue with Dexters as opposed to listed native cattle.

The issue of getting exemption from potential contiguous cull in times of F & M or similar situation is I think slightly different. A case might be made if lines of a breed containing unique or almost unique genetics was potentially going to be wiped out by a contiguous cull with no evidence whatever of disease. Each such case in 2001 would have been considered on its merits, and letters were written to Defra about certain herds, but I do not know what weight these would have carried since the situation did not arise, but it did get very close.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
LISA

Post by LISA »

My concern is NOT that the Dexters are not classified as being rare,clearly they are not even a minority now.However if there is ANY means of getting possible protection for my own herd in a contigious cull I would put up a fight to get it.Hence my anger that we are not a listed breed. I think some people have totally missed my point,or as there are so many Dexters available to buy,in the event of a cull would they hold thier gates wide open for the firearms to arrive and think "no worries,20,000 more to choose from".Quite simply,if your not bothered don't join.To those who are working hard for us to get on the list A BIG THANKYOU!
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Dexters become extremely rare when a person is trying to breed from at least 10 generations of uncontaminated breeding, let alone 100 years.

I can't know how terrible the fear must be, but like Lisa, I would want to try anything to avoid contiguous culling.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I thought vaccination was the route they are planning to take, if it starts spreading?
Clive