More Bull - Bull Register

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Martin

Post by Martin »

I have a very nice (in my opinion) red bull that I purchased a few months ago when I started my herd. I had intended to get him inspected and & 'approved' by the society. I have since found out that bulls should be inspected before they are 18 months old, & that both parents have to be inspected also. My bull is now 20 months old and his parents are 'God knows where'. ( I know I can trace them from the herd book). Is it all worth it? Would I be better waiting & getting his sons done? Is a bull that has passed inspection worth more, or do Dexter people look at the bull on the day and make their own minds up? As I only have 8 cows, I may be tempted to let him out to local herds (I'm in Kent), any advice from people that do this would be welcome.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Sorry if your bull has *missed the boat* so to speak, but do not worry too much. Why not get your nearest field advisor from DCS or perhaps one of the bull inspectors to have a look at him and get their opinion on him. The bull scheme is in many ways still in its infancy and I am sure there are many good bulls out there which have never been put forward. But now you know the rules and regs you can be geared up to getting some of your own breeding passed, much more satisfying that buying a ready made one. If you have a good bull he will be likely to leave you some good calves if you have a good selection of females. Do not be discouraged because you only have 8 cows - many good Dexters have come from much smaller herds than that.
On the issue of hiring out, give some thought to the disease situation and what he is likely to bring home, biosecurity is something we Dexter breeders tend to pay little attention to.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thanks for your input Duncan.
Is there any way of telling if a herd is 'clean' or would a vet have to be involved? I am experienced enough to be able to tell the difference between a healthy animal and a not so healthy one, is this enough or are there likely to be hidden disease risks? I do read the farming press weekly and it would seem that the more intensive or 'pushed' animals are more at risk of disease. As most Dexter breeders are on a smaller scale, and 'profit' is of less importance, does this not reduce the risk? I do not plan to hire out to any Tom Dick or Harry, but to get to know people in my local group, and find a couple of Dexter keepers that would want to use him on a regular basis.
One last thing Duncan, thank you for your regular replies to people who have questions/problems, I and I'm sure many others find them very helpfull and informative. Advice from someone of your knowledge and experience is extreamly helpfull to us less experienced Dexter keepers.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Jo Kemp

Post by Jo Kemp »

How I agree with you Martin, many thanks to Duncan for his advice.
I have hired out my bull for a short time this year but was very careful that there had been a recent TB test done and of course, the receiving herd needs to be similarly careful - the TB tide is moving northwards and probably owing to restocking after FMD there have been cases even in Scotland.
Good luck and keep safe! Jo