Calving 2007

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

We are just over half way through calving this year, and so far five our of five have been bulls, keeping our long tradition of a 75/25 sex ratio going.

Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

That's one big teat Rob. I've got a cow that does that with just the two front teats (that reminds me of a song!) and then it's gone within a day or two of calving but I have to milk it first otherwise the calf seems to think it's something they're not supposed to suck on! Or that's what I think anyway.
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It seems to get worse with age but it certainly looks a mouthful for a little calf :D We do the same.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Some more girls to join the herd now (3 out of 8):

Rosemary;

& Sage (and Pansy, her red mother);
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Great pleasure, looking at your lovely photos, Rob. Two weeks to the first of our 20 Spring calves. If I can't work the photo business out by then, I may just take you up on your generous offer to post them.
Haven't really given it a good shot, end of year financials getting into my head space.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The mud on the back of Rosemary is an indication of the conditions we are facing here- and it is supposed to be summer! Luckily though we've only had one calf with hypothermia due to the wet & cold, but he perked up quickly when he got dried off & a belly full of colostrum. The grass though, as you can see in the other photo, is laid & rotting in the waterlogged conditions, but hopefully August will be a drier month.
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Hi All,

I have been just joined the forum having browsed through the postings for the last 6 months.

Rob R then encourage me to join when I posted photos of my new heifer calf on the River Cottage forum. Here is a link to the photos

Code: Select all

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9734&l=c1b18&id=672501531

With the calf now 1 week old how soon can I let her and mother join my two steers? They are in the same field but I separated them from the mother a few days before she gave birth with an electric fence.[/color]
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Jo Kemp

Post by Jo Kemp »

All the herd will be interested in the new arrival and once the calf is up and running, knows who is his/her Mum and where the bar is there should be no problem with putting the steers with mother and child.
Mum will let them know if they are being a bit too much!
Isn't it a wonderful time?
Jo
Inger

Post by Inger »

At a week old, he should be fine. As Jo says, his mum will make sure the steers don't get over enthusiastic.
Inger
NZ
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Thank you all for the advice. It certainly is a wonderful time, I enjoy it but also find it quite stressful.

Like all of these things the books are no replacement for practical experience:
- suckling, the books say they must suckle within 2 hours; advice from local farmers no need to worry for up to 6 hours.
- the navel, the books all get you paranoid about navel ill / hernias. The advice which was not covered in the books was a bit of skin hanging down is normal.
- tagging, this went very smoothly but I was not prepared for the guilt I would feel!

She seems OK in with the steers and runs off if she gets too much unwanted attention. I was a bit concerned when I saw the youngest steer launch himself and land on top of her, but she was unharmed.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Our latest, and last for this season, Rosewood Thyme...

The only one I actually saw being born this time :)
Inger

Post by Inger »

What a beautiful baby little Thyme is Rob. :D
Inger
NZ
Inger

Post by Inger »

Our first calf arrived on Friday. A Grade 4 (purebred for us). Unfortunately it was a bull calf. I am only expecting 2 more Grade 4 calves this year, so I hope the other two first calvers have heifers.
Inger
NZ
Inger

Post by Inger »

We're now up to 5 bull calves, no heifer calves and we're just over half way through calving. Looks like we're following your example Rob. ???
Inger
NZ
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The calves seem to be growing well this time, while the cows aren't in such good condition- then I remember that we've changed calving season so they shouldn't be :D

Looking good so far, and still on fresh lush grass- everyone else around are using ring feeders now.