Steering Committee

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
groubearfarm

Post by groubearfarm »

The question which we have to address is why things have gone wrong within Council. I think that for some time the council had not been going forwards and because of disagreements and there was a stalemate. The little black cows were hardly mentioned at meetings and their best interests were not being served. The council had become difficult to manage and the breed secretary resigned. Although she loved the work she did for the DCS members, she found she could not work for twelve bosses. There were two newly elected members on council but they were both people who had served very recently on council so the fundamental problems had not changed.

It was proposed that three DCS members be brought onto council, Martin Wilson, Martyn Ryder and Rob Kirk, with myself to run a Steering Committee, it was also proposed the whole council to resign and this was agreed unanimously. If some members of the Council did not agree with this proposal then they should have voted against this motion.

The steering committee welcomes comment and views and would appreciate if these remarks could be directed openly so that we can work towards an open and honest society. We are working towards an election in the near future and hope that many members take an active role to ensure proper representation.

Fiona Miles
Fiona Miles
Groubear Dexters 31527
Groubear Farm
Cruwys Morchard
Devon
happy hollidays

Post by happy hollidays »

Hello Fiona, firstly thank you kindly for offering your services along with Martin, Rob and Martyn. No easy task I am sure, but hopefully a rewarding one in the end. We are just in this as hobby farmers, one older cow which we consider a pet and aiming to put one in the freezer each year. However, I would like the DCS to increase its promotion work, if I was a business I would expect a lot more support from my society in this area. I have never seen any display material or taste testing or meat for sale in any of the county shows I have been to, but there have always been dexters (apart from FMD outbreaks). Perhaps we could put this question to our group Martin in the newsletter? Best of luck, Estelle
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

As a charity we are precluded from furthering the financial interests of our members, if you look in the front of the Herd Book you will see what our aims are, as permitted under Charity ruling. We are very lucky in that Clive has now stepped in, and fulfilled the long felt need for meat promotion.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Estelle, I did in the last newsletter ask if anyone had the ear of someone on the Kent Show commitee (deathly silence so far) as I have been told that it is very expensive to have any type of stand there. I to believe that we should have a stand at as many shows as possible but cost and people to man them are the limiting factors. I know some of the smaller shows it is possible as they don't seem to demand such a high price for space, and I believe at some we could have a free stand if we sponsor a Dexter class. I will keep you informed as to what I find out.

Martin. Medway Valley Dexters.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Beryl, we must have been posting at the same time!
Having a stand at shows would not have to have the aim of promoting the beef, but promoting the breed. Beef promotion would come because you are promoting the breed. A stand would be letting people know about the attributes of the Dexter, one of which is its beef quality. In an attempt to increase numbers you could increase the customer base for its beef by accident more than by design.

Martin. Medway Valley Dexters.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

I agree with you 100% Martin, I am all for promoting the qualities of the breed with a breed stand, although as you point out, apart from, the cost, it is often difficult to find the members to man it. I simply wanted to point out what I think many members are unaware of - the limits imposed by the Charity status, they can expect too much of the Society, business support and meat for sale are out.
happy hollidays

Post by happy hollidays »

I did not realise until Clive told me a while ago that there were such limitations on DCS. I did not write it as well as Martin, but that is what I meant, sorry if I offended. I just think if you tell potential customers the product exists they may choose to buy some instead of the well known aberdeen angus for example.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Hi all,
New to dexters, 2 to date, but had 40 Angus for 10yrs before giving up farming for a living, or should that be alledged living.
Anyway, the Northwest Angus club started doing stands at shows to promote the breed, the society provided the written literature and the club the members to do it, we never paid for a stand as the shows were quite happy to allow us to set up near the cattle rings, we provided refreshments in the form of drinks, cakes, and of cause Beef butties, all free but donations greatfully excepted.
The shows have now become like mini club social gatherings with plenty of members to talk to the public.
Perhaps something similar might work.
If i also recall the Angus society managed to get sponorship from Famous Grouse and Walkers shortbread, who both supplied products to serve up, could there be a like minded company wishing to be associated with the dexter product?, Jamesons could be good :p

Richard.
Richard.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Good idea Richard, I wonder how many bottles they would let us have! Hic!!!! :;):

Martin. Medway Valley Dexters
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
groubearfarm

Post by groubearfarm »

In Devon the group has a stand at the County show which has the remit of education, we are educating the public but of course that involves promoting Dexters. This year we had a very successful stand which was promoting conservation grazing, with some great photos taken by one of our junior members. We sold Dexter merchandise because this is largely as a 'service' to our members. We did not have lists of where people could buy dexter beef for example but the exhibitors spend their whole days talking dexters to potential customers. It would be really good for the DCS to support local groups to have stands at shows to educate people. Shows are often the first place one sees a Dexter. There are many members that already support us in this way, but if you feel enthused let us know.
Fiona
Fiona Miles
Groubear Dexters 31527
Groubear Farm
Cruwys Morchard
Devon