CDCA Members Discussion Board

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Canadian Dexter Cattle Association members have a new board up and running www.dextercattle.ca/discussion/ So far it is for CDCA members only, please check it out if you are one. Cheers, Liz
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Liz - How many herds are there in Canada (just out of interest)?

Edited By Broomcroft on 1201541492
Clive
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Hi Clive, I'd have to find out but we are not a large group by any means. For instance, we, Den and I, only have four Dexter cows and I think that other than some of the larger herds out west, we are pretty representative of the herd size. Well under 10 cows anyway. Liz
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

It's much the same over here (I think). Most herds are small. I think the average calculated some years ago was 6 for the DCS membership. There are now quite a few larger herds though, so I imagine this average is probably more now. Very roughly, there are 1200 members and 24000 cattle so I suppose the simple average is now about 20. But in reality this figure is distorted by larger herds, so most herds are probably still below 10 at a guess.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1201940991
Clive