My freezer is full.

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
John C

Post by John C »

I just have the three Dexters at the moment, along with two freezers that are full to the brim with beef and pork. Now that our strapping sons are off at university, we find ourselves eating beef virtually everyday to try and make inroads into it.

I have a dexter cow and her two entire sons. One will be two in July whilst his younger sibling will be one year old in the same month.
I need to move these two on, we can't possibly use either of them for our own consumption. They are very well grown beasts, is there anyone out there who finishes bull beef ? In other words, are they at all marketable ?
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

John

If you email your details to me (name, phone, email address, location, details of the animals) I'll forward it on to some people who may be interested, but if they are entire I doubt they'll take them. But you never know.
Clive
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

Hi John surely your two year old is almost ready to go now. Why dont you look for some customers for him, 6 --8 will be plenty sell them packs of 20 to 25lb weight across the board selection and get rid of it like that. Or give it to friends and relations for presents they will love you for ever.
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
stew

Post by stew »

bull beef is the best i find lots of flavour
and dont find boar taint a problem
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've just done my first bull and it's possibly the best beef we've done so far and the boned-out to deadweight ratio was up to good commercial standards at an amazing 77% (100% grass/clover reared). We got 158 Kg of quality meat out of a very medium-sized animal (and a slightly dairy type!). He was very well finished and had a very good fat cover. But you can just tell by the meat sometimes that if he hadn't been so well finished, you've have needed a sharp knife and good teeth. We detected no difference in the flavour. We're now bringing on 3 or 4 more bulls to try.

A lot of people / butchers won't touch bull beef which is why I mentioned the problem. I imagine that if you get the occasional tough one, and I have a pal who said one they did recently was like leather and he minced the whole animal, then this puts people off forever, too risky I suppose.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1205841369
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

we fininsh veal bulls on a weekly basis, they are extrememly tasty. we use pure pedigree ayrshires and finish them at 10months old.

depending on where you are, i would have no problem in buying your bulls, we ar always looking for dexter finishing stock

dominic
sales@sunnysidefarm.biz
Inger

Post by Inger »

If you're worried about them being entire, why not get the vet to castrate them and then wait a couple of months until the hormones are no longer in their systems, before sending them off to the works.
Inger
NZ
Farrant

Post by Farrant »

Hi John,
We may be interested - where is your farm?
Caroline (Kent)