Houston, We Have Liftoff! - Milk...

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

This morning, at approximately 7:00 am PDT, about 250 ml of milk was extracted from first-time milker, Fairbridge Evie by novice dairy maid, Kathy Millar. Ms. Millar commented that she would have milked a bit more except that her back was starting to hurt and the calf, Miss Mouse, had already taken care of the other quarters. Farbridge Evie's milking carreer had a rocky start as she was not convinced that allowing humans to remove milk was in her best interest. After a fairly impressive display of side-kicks, smelly tail swishing and various attempts at hobbling, Ms. Millar had to bring in a professional cow rangler from up the road who soon had the feisty Dexter spouting the white stuff. Both novices are looking forward to the day when the more efficient two-handed milking technique and bucket can replace the single hand and yogurt container.
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Well done Kathy! A gold star for you for not ever giving up, even when under fire! :D

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Rutherford

Post by Rutherford »

Cheers Kathy, you will soon be making butter, good luck.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Ah, yes, the tail. When I tried milking my first Dexter I had a flash of illumination regarding the purpose of the voluminous bonnets that Victorian dairymaids wore.
Those milking Dexters should also be aware that, as an Irish breed, an indispensable part of the Irish dairymaid's kit was the spancel, a form of hobble. It would appear that Irish cattle never stood to be milked in quite the placid manner associated with English cows.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Butter?? Just how much milk do I have to extract to make this magical stuff?

I would love to see a pair of spancels. Those horse hobbles were difficult to buckle up even when not on the animal, I couldn't imagine getting them on a jumpy cow. :(
Kathy
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Kathy I had to check my Dexter heifers udder to make sure it was OK and to put a bit of precious colostrum in the freezer. She is unbelievably friendly, wraps herself around you if you stroke her and I used to have a milking herd so it should have been a doddle, however I had a bit of feeling that she wasn't going to like it!

I can tell you that it is my professional opinion that the leg of a Dexter heifer can move approximately 15% faster than that of a Friesian when surprised by her owner taking such a shocking liberty as to try removing milk!!!

I got my colostrum but Chris was under instruction to feed her nuts continually but as slowly as possible and it was a close run thing.

As you are new to all this it must have been very scary.

Stephanie :;):
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Kathy, I too would love to get my hands on some spancels. Unfortunately like much everyday working gear, everyone knew what one was so no-one bothered to draw them, keep a set etc. I've tried Google & the Irish Folk Life museums with no luck so far.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

I checked a dairy supplier in the US and was surprised to see quite an array of different hobbles. Obviously there are more that a few cows out there who have behaviour problems! I quite liked the look of the ones made of webbing.

Kathy
Kathy
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Most hobbles used for modern cattle would be used when they have hind leg problems such as obturator paralysis after calving and cannot keep the legs together, or if they have done the splits.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

My girls are a bit small for the 'kicker' that I purchased at a dairy barn auction but I find that a rope tied just in front of udder and hips, with a clove hitch, works just as well. Of course that is assuming they are staunchioned first! :)
Duncan MacIntyre

If a cow is restless, switching the tail and even giving the odd kick, loop a bale string round the tail about level with the hock, put on a half hitch, and then tie the tail to the leg with the string round just above the hock, firm but not too tight. This in most has the double effect of stopping the tail hitting you in the face and will greatly reduce the kicking. Quick, easy to put on, doesn't harm the cow.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Duncan - I've got a heifer kicking her calf because she doesn't want to feed it. Will that work with her?
Clive
Duncan MacIntyre

It might well, but better if she is tied on chain or halter, though she may not be used to that. Check that there is no reason her teats might be sore. Or if she is really hefted with milk she may need some pressure taken off.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute