Problem calf - Help needed

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

I may be posting twice, but here's it over again....

The calf I mentioned previously that couldn't stand up is now walking around but doesn't seem willing/able to suck even though it did when it was an hour old.

I may have gotten about 1 litre of colostrum done its throat today (it is two days old tonight) using a bottle but almost no sucking (takes ages to dribble it down). It knows where to go with the mom but not very interested in feeding. I guess I should have tubed it but hate doing that and don't have the equipment. How much milk should it be getting daily?

What do I do now?
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
Colin

Post by Colin »

Kathy I have a thread on calf feeding problems last updated 28th May which may provide some useful tips. My situation was different, so don't be depressed by my outcome, but the tips were very valuable. Beryl mentioned she used to start her calves with 4 pints but soon increased to six. A litre is about 1.75 pints.

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've had the same two days ago. The calf would not suckle a bottle because presumably he could tell it wasn't a live thing.

So I wet my finger in milk and he would suckle that because he could tell it was a live digit of some sort. Then I slipped the bottle in.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1212140586
Clive
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Thanks, Colin. That puts it about 280 ml per feed for 8 feeds. This could be a long day. Clive, he hardly sucks on the finger. The thing that puzzles me, is that he can suck because occasionally he goes to it so he must not have any physical impediment. As he gains in strength, might his sucking reflex increase?

Well, I put 250 ml in the bottle, this is the beginning of Day 3, wish me luck. By the way, is there any sort of Table for how much to increase the amount feed over time?? ???
Kathy
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hi Kathy,

I suggested this to Clive - It usually works!

If the calf will hold his head up and is able to swallow hold two fingers of one hand in his mouth, use the other to scoop up a tiny amount of milk and trickle between those fingers. Keep doing it until he gets the idea and starts to swallow.

He will start to suck when your back is really hurting!

Once it is sucking well with your fingers up in the air you can then begin to teach it to follow your fingers to the bucket or to the cows teat.

Good luck.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've also had success with a lazy way. I feed the calf but not enough. That makes it wake up and be really interested in getting more. It then starts going for it's mom in ernest, and eventually it has worked. One took a week or more.

The one I have now is 3 days old and I'm giving it around 1.5 litres of collostrum / milk mixed about 50/50 in three feeds, and it might be getting some off it's mom because her teats look clean. I just feed them so they look right and play it by ear.
Clive
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

So far today I have gotten about 1 litre into him in two feedings. He is not interested in sucking either his mom or the bottle. In fact, he will hardly swallow so it takes a long time to trickle in the milk. Otherwise, he is alert and mom keeps all the milk splashes on his coat cleaned up. I guess I will just have to "play it by ear" and see what happens. If he would just take to the bottle, I would be happy. I have tried the finger trick and every other thing I can think of to no avail but he is physically able to suck as he has done it occasionally. I am getting pretty worn out by the worry. How soon can I introduce calf feed? I think most of it around here has Monesin (coccidat) in it.

Thank you for all of your advice and support. I will keep you posted.
Kathy
Colin

Post by Colin »

Kathy just one thought. Are you sure he's not feeding off his mum when you are not around. Last year I got worried about my first calf when I didn't see him feed at all. His mum was attentive and he seemed alert. An experienced Dexter keeper told me to calm down as his mum would know a lot more about what to do than me. That's one of the strengths of the breed. I did and the advice I got was spot on. After a couple of days the calf was running around like a spring lamb. Still hadn't seen it feed but he was clearly doing well.

Has she calved before and do any of her teats look cleaned ?

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Another long-shot...I had a calf last year that wouldn't suckle and his mom was a kicking heifer. He would never take the calf bottle I have but when I used a lamb bottle with a medium teat, he did. So try different teats or bottles maybe!

And there was another who wouldn't suckle if I held him...maybe he was scared...but when I put the teat through the gate, he would take it but I had to train him to do that.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1212214852
Clive
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Hi kathy; It may have been a long birth and he may be a bit oxygen deprived and if you can get hold of a calf tuber from the vet or feed store, then go for it. It is much easier to tube a calf than a lamb because the the tube is rigid with a ball on the end. Put it down his throat slowly, with the clamp on the bag and when you can feel the 'ball' with your hand on the side of the throat then release the milk. If can't feel the ball, remove it and try again. Usually 'dummy' calves rally if they managed to get enough colostrum in them. My vet also suggests baking soda because often the ph is a bit off. Good luck. Liz
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

I agree with Colin Kathy, not being rude but do you look at the calf before feeding as you say he is bright and alert but not wanting food. Just take five minutes to see how full he looks before feeding as the amount he is getting now he should look fairly hollow. Again this is not intended to be insulting.
Rob H
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Hi Kathy,

If you already know the following then please disregard:

You can tell if the calf has been feeding by looking at the little triangle - down from the hip bone and behind the ribs. If this 'triangle' is flat with the side of the animal (or bulging) then it has milk - if it is sunken in then it is a safe bet that it hasn't fed.

When I feed a calf on a cow being milked I only let the calf feed till this area is flat, not bulging.

All the best
Kathleen.