Hay requirements

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Hello everyone

Could someone advise on how much hay (kgs or proportion of a small bale) I should feed an adult dexter per day? My animals are out at pasture all winter and I don't feed anything else other than a molassed mineral lick. I know there are variables but a ballpark would be handy as I have to order in the hay ASAP.

Thanks

Spencer
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Spencer

I feed a small bale of meadow hay a day for every 3 to 4 Dexters and they seem to thrive - 800 ft up in the Shropshire hills.

Peter
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I would agree with Peter's estimate. I fed hay and nothing else for the first time last winter to two bulls, four cows and four younger ones, allowed for 2 bales per day and found they got a bit leaner than usual. This year I have two adults, three 18m olds and three calves, using 2 bales per day. These are inside.
These bales are about 40 to the ton.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
louise

Post by louise »

I seem to feed more than this. Last winter a cow, a steer and a heifer calf ate a bale a day (35 to the ton approx). This autumn a bull and the cow with a heifer calf are using 2 bales in 3 days. The cow is a big one.
Hope this is useful.
cheers Louise :)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Thank you all for the input. :) Very roughly this seems to equate to about 1/4-1/3 bale per head per day. I guess about 5-8kg.

Spencer