shadwell prefix

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
clacko

Post by clacko »

i was just browsing through the online herd books and stumbled across the shadwell prefix, does any one know if this was anything to do with shadwell in norfolk, there are entrys upto 1971 with a bull called shadwell peter, just curious as i am very local to that area and my grandfather was herdsman with the shadwell red polls through the 50's and 60's and then went on to young stock and calving friesan/holstien hiefers when the estate tennancy changed hands in 1971 until he retired in 1988
paul , victoria & laura claxton
snarehill dexters
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Others may well know more detail, but from the 1974 herdbook RC Tetley registered the birth of Shadwell Decoy, sire Shadwell Robert, a well known bull of the time. Shadwell Robert was the sire of Bookhams Robert, one of the early Dexters on AI. Bookhams Robert incidentally was owned by the late Bill Butcher.

The Shadwell herd was at Tudor House, Allerton Park, Leeds. On page 68 of Ted Neal's book "The Life and Times of Dexters" it says "Talking about drinking leads us to a hostelry built on the land owned by Cecil Tetley of Shadwell herd fame, near Leeds. The "Dexter" was opened in 1967 by Moorgarth Trixie 2nd and Mr G Inman, managing director of Joshua Tetley and Son."

So sadly I think the Norfolk connection is a red herring - but the Shadwell herd was well known and played a significant part in the breed at a very lean time for Dexters.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Cornahir Outlaw has 9 crosses to Shadwell Robert in 6 generations, and also various Shadwell cows of other lines.

We have a yearling heifer by Bookhams Robert, from an Outlaw cow from an American cow, quite lovely but large.

My experiment at breeding an outcross line, but nowhere else to go except back to Outlaw.

Margaret.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
clacko

Post by clacko »

thanks for that, i was just curious. just found out that the redpolls were registerd as the shadwell court herd
paul , victoria & laura claxton
snarehill dexters
Inger

Post by Inger »

Bookhams Robert was used a lot by the foundation members of the NZ Dexter Society. We have a few cows with him in their pedigree. So the Shadwell Stud has many representatives among the NZ Dexter herds of the present.
Inger
NZ
Crct

Re: shadwell prefix

Post by Crct »

I am Cecil Tetley's younger son [I'm now in my late 60s!]: the address given [Tudor House..] was our family home, but the farm was [and still is] Shadwell Grange Farm, hence the herd name. We had originally [until around 1964] lived over the road at a house on Shadwell Lane which, like a number of others at the time, was sold for building plots [the present Longwood Crescent and Close]. I have somewhere a photo of my father, my elder brother, me, John Ford and his father Reg [the farm manager and his son] with Moorgarth Trixie and a young Shadwell Robert. John and his wife Gloria still live at the farm, though many of the buildings have been altered and converted into expensive housing.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

How nice to hear from a member of the Tetley family, there is a lot of interest in historical Dexters and I am sure lots of people, not just in UK but worldwide, would be very pleased if you posted any pictures of your dad's Dexters.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

Cecil,
my name is John O'Neill and I am a huge fan of the Shadwell herd. I have sent you a private message. My current bull is a son of Shadwell Robert. I am in Ireland and importing straws of Robert and producing this bull, in an effort to preserve this old blood line, took me years. When the Shadwell herd was dispersed Robert and a number of females were imported into Ireland. They were in fact the first registered Dexters in Ireland for a number of decades. My bulls name is Kyleroe Strebor and he is available on AI.
Some of Bookhams Robert's offspring were large. This is to do with his dam. Shadwell Robert was not tall and did not produce tall offspring. His offspring have long backs and look like Dexters!
John O'Neill
Herd name: Kyleroe
Member Reference: 32802
Crct

Post by Crct »

Attached is a photo that may be of interest!
Let to right: my father [RC Tetley], Moorgarth Trixie [II, I think], John Ford, Charles Tetley [my late brother], Reg Ford [John's father and bailiff at the time], Shadwell Robert, myself, JIm [farmhand]. My brother is holding a cup that Trixie won at the Bakewell Show. I think I must have been 11 or 12 at the time, so this would have been taken in around 1960-61. The photo was taken by the publicity department at Joshua Tetley and Son, where my father was a director. Interesting to note from the stacks in the background that corn was still being cut by reaper and binder at the time, and then threshed in the stackyard. The sheaves were stacked with the bottoms facing outwards. I don't know who Trixie's breeder was, and I think we got a couple of calves out of her: she was the most gentle and placid animal and was allowed to live out her days in a spacious loose box. Happy days!
Attachments
Dexter.jpg
Dexter.jpg (6.12 MiB) Viewed 21234 times
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

Thank you for the photo.
However according to the Grassroots herdbook Shadwell Robert was not born until November 1965. I will check the herdbooks to confirm this.
John O'Neill
Herd name: Kyleroe
Member Reference: 32802
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

They were going to be alright for a bit of fodder for a day or so!
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/