What would be the ideal conformation and colouring - Conformation and colouring ideals

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I am considering the possibility of buying one or two dexter cattle.
As I have farmed for many years I am not too worried about the pros and cons of keeping cattle, I have already got plenty of experience in most of the pitfalls!
However I know nothing about Dexters in particular. So I need to know if they are fundamentally different in any way, apart of course from their size.
Also I do like to show my animals locally, so I need to know what to look for in conformation and colour.
So could someone please tell me what that elusive "ideal" dexter should look like please.
Thanks in anticipation.
Saffy :)
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Saffy,
If you get in touch with your local Dexter group they will be happy to supply you with the information that you require in the form of leaflets. After looking at these you will find that you have lots of choices, black, red or dunn, short or non short, and variations of non short. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and good cattle are good cattle. there are so many variants within the breed, that you should buy what you like to look at. You will find that Dexter breeders are a helpfull lot and your local group will be able to give advice on types that win local shows. As you have experience in keeping cattle, you must know that they are not happy being kept alone, so please buy two.
I have recently joined the society and purchased my first Dexters in May of this year, every breeder I visited was welcoming and extreemly helpfull. You should find your search for your cattle a very pleasant one.
Good luck.
Martin
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thanks Martin
Good advice but does my local dexter group have a name and how do I get hold of them?
Saffy
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Hello Saffy

You could try the West Wales Dexter group if this isn't too far over, try Annette Williams 01994 448269.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thankyou for your helpful answers and if somebody knows Annette Williams please pass on my grateful thanks for the information she so generously gave me. Dexter breeders seem a friendly lot.
Unfortuanately I shan't be having Dexters not in the near future at least as the rest of the family want pigs!!! PIGS how ridiculous and I and my hoped for Dexters have been voted against.
Mutter mutter, don't much like pigs, they better taste good!

P.S. This site is fantastic, what a brilliant idea, it is lovely to be able to log on and read the Dexter News. Its a shame more breeds don't do the same. Keep up the good work, I will still look in for a nose about occasionally and I will have Dexters one day but not for a year or two.

Saffy :(
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello saffy,

Do the family know much about pigs? If not why not buy a couple of Dexters and tell them they are pigs, let that run for a while and by the time they have got to like them they can be told the truth and will not want to be parted from them.

Duncan,
living on an island with 45,000 head of livestock and only one of them a pig. (yes I know which one is the pig)
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Saffy

Just a thought, there is a meeting for Dexter people here on December 11th, if you'd like to come along it will only be for a couple of hours or so with a spot of lunch thrown in. Bring one of your doubting family if you like. E-mail me if you are interested. Also, if any of the rest of the group would like to e-mail me, rather than phone, to let me know that you are coming it would be extremely helpful.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Duncan,
What an excellent idea and it made me laugh! Do you think I should curl their tails to make them look more authentic?
Unfortunately my son is just finishing an animal science degree before going on hopefully to veterinary science and spent his summers working on a pig farm as we don't have them, (so far so good.) So I think he may notice.
The good news though is that he hasn't been offered an interview for vet school locally, only Liverpool, Glasgow and Edinborough, therefore we won't be having his expertise on hand and my partner who knows nothing about farming and thought he would like pigs has just discovered what 20 score actually looks like!!! So Dexters are back in with a chance.

Sylvia
Thankyou so much, will be there if I possibly can, a lovely idea. I shall just have to convince my teenage daughter that an extra day in Worthing after classes have finished for Xmas would be good as the shops are much better than here.
As long as it doesn't result in a major depresssion, she isn't happy in her digs, I will be there. Will let you know via email.

Stephanie (Saffy)

Sorry when I first logged on I didn't realise we were supposed to use our real names.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Concerning names, looking at the rest of them I think it may be only the brave or the daft who have used their real names. You can decide which is which. Third category of course are those who haven't the time or ability to think up some clever alternative!!