Woodmagic Pics - Christmas 2008

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Chris and I went for a little walk around Beryls lovely herd just before Christmas- it was nearly dark but I still took some pics! - Here are a few so you can all have a look as well!!!

The second pic down is a bull calf, possible stock bull to be, a chunky self assured little chap.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Those who have read ‘My Love Affair’ may be interested to know that the little potential bull is a son of Midget - a great descendant of the original Midget who was being milked by me. Still a favourite family.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Beryl

You might recall me saying I have a little black bull that I have kept out of a dun cow and red bull, and the cow has a lot of Woodmagic in her. He is now 17 months and is still small but chunky, and very masculine. I just looked back and his mom has Midget and Midget 2nd back a few generations, and more recently Zic-Zac, Roebuck, Brer Fox and Goldfinch. He doesn't seem to have inherited much from his dad at all who is a big chap. But will he throw small that is the question. I haven't registered him because I want to see what he throws first, or is that a waste of time to wait? He's exceptionally easy going, but like the girls very much at the same time. His depth of body is quite exceptional but the next six months will really tell me whether he puts on the muscle. Like my other bulls, he won't be registered.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1230554859
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

PS. Not that it matters, but I made a mistake in the above posting and would like to change it, but I can't edit it because I am Broomcroft and it was created by Broomcroft! Yet, I've just edited this posting 10 times to to see if it would work!

Edited By Broomcroft on 1230560941
Clive
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Clive you must know I have said it so often, wait and see what he produces, you cant tell what he will throw by looking at him. You have already said his sire was miles bigger than him!
I can say, on the basis of the ancestors, that he is worth waiting for; none of those you quote was over large. The first of the Midget line that I retained as a bull was notable for his young stock coming down in size, in the early days when I still had a lot of big animals from breeding to the dwarf.
My attitude is look at the dam and as many of the ancestors as are available and if you like them give him a chance to prove himself, but DON’T CONDEMN HIM ON HIS OWN LOOKS. Having said that size does tend to be strongly inherited. Do you know anything about the sire’s dam, it was probably a dwarf?
Beryl (Woodmagic)