fertility - fertility age

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
markrobinson

Post by markrobinson »

at what age does a female calf become fertile
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

How long is a piece of string? There is no hard and fast rule. I have met with a Dexter of 13 months with a calf at foot. I usually consider mine are safe until six months. I shall be interested to hear how long others leave their heifer calves to run with the bull.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

when we first started wi dexters we bought jasmine, born jan 2004, her calf was born june 2005, it nearlly killed her.making her 7 months when served!it taught us to wean early or remove the bull. 17months at calving.
j.nuttall
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

hi beryl, we use a younger bull with heifers,and he will stay with them till theyre calves are ready to wean,we try not to calf dec to march so take him out depending when others are born usually may to september. If all goes to plan done ok up to know.jean jordeth.
j.nuttall
Penny

Post by Penny »

The youngest heifer I have ever heard of calving was just 11 and a half months old when she calved!(Caesarian). I certainly have stock coming into season when they are only 3-3and a half months old.Because of this I tend to put those with heifer calves at foot in with the bull a bit earlier, so that hopefully they are actually in calf by the time the heifer calf is 3 months old and can leave the bull. I also watch my bull like a hawk !
ann

Post by ann »

I had to inject one this year at 4mths, like Penny I try to get cows with heifers served at 3mths or if possible before. It seems to depend very much on the condition of the cow if they are feeding their calves very well then there is more chance of the calves cycling early. I brought a heifer many years ago who was we later found out in calf at 5mths old, fortunetly she calved o.k but never accepted the calf so I had to hand rear it. We rested her up and the next time she calved there was no problem with her next calf.
Interestingly most autumn born heifers don't start cycling until the spring. :)
Martin

Post by Martin »

I had a four month heifer that pestered my bull until he did the deed. I could not believe it at the time as she would not leave him alone. I could not really seperate them at that time and left it until the bull was finally removed and then had her injected. She is now ok and is always one of the first cows in calf.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I had a four month heifer that pestered my bull until he did the deed.

Typical woman.
Clive
acrossthesea

Post by acrossthesea »

Hi.
We have had calves served at 4 months of age. The short legged tend to mature earlier than non short. Also the bull calf will also work early, 5 months is the earliest that we have heard of, we have had one at 6 months, again short legged.