Newbie! Advice please

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Caroline L,

There isn't a simple answer that I know of. I have one that is very young - still feeding her first and in calf with the second and I don't want her to go very thin. I give them all a few Mag Rolls which are big nuts, every day but she gets a couple of handfuls of Beef Nuts in a bucket twice a day while the others eat the Mag Rolls. If I didn't want to give anything to the others I would take her out the gate for her bit in a bucket but it is alot of fuss.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

we feed 19 a big bale every 3rd day, they look well, then the bad doers are at home on big bales, and also last years calves, just had 3 lots of piglets saddlebacks wot a stresseful time. half term soon catch up on sleep before lambing. :) jean jordeth
j.nuttall
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

also making sure that they have a mineral bucket all the time, steers coming home at weekend for finishing, dehorning calves and updating are mv accredited sheep tomoz. always busy jean jordeth
j.nuttall
Martin

Post by Martin »

Caroline,
Your problem is one of the reasons that I have not gone over to big bales. With a small herd it is much easier to ration using small conventionals. You should also consider separating the cow and calf, adjoining fields or an electric fence will ensure that they still have contact.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Peter thornton

Post by Peter thornton »

I've always believed that you couldn't overfeed cows on hay and sileage and that you only got problems if feeding nuts etc. I always give mine as much as they want (sileage) and have never had problems. Mind you, they are outside all Winter so that might help.

After all, how do you ration them in the Summer when they are at grass?

Of course I could be wrong and stand to be corrected, however I can say that we've now had 19 calves (about half from heifers) and never had to assist one so I'm assuming that we're not overfeeding.
CarolineL

Post by CarolineL »

Thanks everyone for your advice. Doesn't seem to be an easy answer! Will just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't go too far one way or another.
All the best
Caroline
Ferryboat Dexters
Richard Knott & Caroline Littler
Thorganby
York
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Grass and silage are bulky feeds and you would have difficulty in over-feeding. Hay has all the water extracted and doesn’t have the bulk so it is possible to feed too much, although I usually feed what is readily cleared up.
Beryl (Woodmagic )