vaccinations - conflicting advice

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
carole

Post by carole »

Hi my thoughts are turning to turning out so to speak and not that we didn't have an absolute blast doing bt jabs out in the field we thought we would go the more boring and less exhausting route of vaccinating prior to turn out.
We need to do bt, black leg, and fluke jabs and I have been told by my vet that it is O.K to do all 3 in one go (I appreciate that the bt will be just once this time) but have spoken to a bt manufacturer who says each should be given individually. Time is a slight issue as I want to do this before TB testing.
Any advice would be welcome, thanks
Callington, Cornwall
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

I have a similar problem, I will coincide one vaccination with the reading of the TB testing – the second visit. The other two will have to be on separate days. My vet also advises me to do them individually.
Beryl (Wooodmagic)
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

The problem of using two vaccines together is that unless it has been shown that the immune system responds to both when used together, there is fear that one or other or both may not produce the required degree of immunity. So my advice to clients is not to use the BT vaccine within a week of other vaccines. I am happier about use with wormers, less likely that they will interfere.
For TB testing, we inject Tuberculin, which is a protein product derived from TB bugs, which will produce a swelling in the skin of cattle which have been exposed to Tuberculosis. So we do not want anything done at the first day of the test which might influence the results - I am not saying that Bluetongue vaccine would influence the results, but no one has proved that yet. I have tested several hundred cattle now with the BT vaccine being given on the second day and all seems to go well.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
carole

Post by carole »

thanks for the replies,
Callington, Cornwall