Calving advice, please. - Calf due soon!

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Adamsbridge

Post by Adamsbridge »

As a new keeper of Dexters, I have found this site absolutely invaluable!
I bought a cow at Melton Mowbray which was pd 5 months, so the calf is due soon.
I have a few questions:- 1) how accurate is a pd? 2) have you any advice for preparing for calving? 3) I have brought her in with another cow, and am watching for her bag to drop, but are there any other signs? 4) When should I seperate the cows etc? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Andy
Adamsbridge

Post by Adamsbridge »

I have just noticed that I said pd 5 months. What I meant to say was - pd 4 months, 5 months ago! Sorry, but I was a bit slow there.. :D Must be lack of sleep... Thanks again, Andy
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Calving

Accuracy of Pregnancy Diagnosis in cattle will depend on who did it, how they did it and when they did it. Regardless of who or how, if the pd was done at or around the time of the sale the times given will be approximate unless there was only one possible service date. If there was only one relevant service date then the cow should calf about 281 days after that.

The following is largely taken from an old ATB trainee guide.

Preparing a calving pen/box
You may need
• Clean, thoroughly disinfected pen/box at least 6m x 6m (standard cow, not Dexter)ss sto allow space for possible use of calving aid, sand having
• Outward opening door
• Tethering ring
• Girt ir sand for grip on concrete floors
• Good quality straw bedding
• Good ventilation without draughts
• Good lighting
• At least one power point preferably just outside door
• No projections/obstructions which might cause injury
• Shelf above animal height for equipment
Scatter sand or grit on the floor, then cover the floor with a good deep layer of straw.

Preparing equipment
The Agricultural Training Board advice on equipment was
• At least 3 different colour coded calving ropes
• Disposable armlength gloves and face mask (which they said might not be used often)
• Waterproof calving apron
• 3 metal bars to use to pull the ropes
• Flutter valve and 2 1.5”x16G needles in case of milk fever
• Bottle of Calcium borogluconate or alternative as recommended by vet
• Clean bucket
• Approved antiseptic
• Source of warm/hot water
• Bar of soap
• Clean dry towel
• Proprietary obstetrical lubricant

The ropes should be clean, boil for 10 minutes. Wash the apron thoroughly, sterilise the flutter valve and needles or use disposables. Have everything ready 7 – 10 days before he expected calving date.

Recognising signs of calving

Check the cow’s ear number and keep the calculated calving date in mind. If a calving occurs more than 10 days before the expected date it is a legal obligation to report this the Animal Health. Normally this can be done through your own vet.
Observe the cow for some or all of the following signs indicating that calving is near.
• Abdomen increased in size, especially high up on the right flank
• Udder filling up and enlarging, possibly becoming hard and congested. An overstocked udder should only be premilked if absolutely necessary and the colostrum kept frozen or refrigerated.
• Softs hollows appear between the pin bones and the tail
• Colostrum present in teats
• Animal stands separate from the herd
• Vulva becomes red and swollen and possible showing a flow of mucus, sometimes tinged with blood.
• Animal becomes uneasy and restless
• Tail swishing from side to side at first. Later, tail held high and back arched
• Feet paddling
• Water bag appearing, or tracies of the fluid may be seen

Preparing for calving

• consult the cows record for details of any previous calving difficulties
• Move the cow/heifer quietly and calmly to a calving pen when the signs of approaching calving can be recognised.
• if there is a possibility that it is an abortion she must be placed in an isolation box

Preparing to make an internal examination

• prepare the equipment in advance, ready for the possible need to examine the cow and/or manipulate sthe calf.
• Generally take no action if the head and two front legs of the calf are visible – calving should proceed normally. If a large foot, or two differently sized feet, are visible an examination should be made.
• If the cow has made no visible progress after two hours, make the first internal examination.
• Remove your wristwatch and any rings
• Wear a clean calving apron and scrubbed rubber boots
• Trim you fingernails
• Wash hands and arms thoroughly, scrub hands and fingernails carefully

Making an internal examination
• ask an assistant to hold the tail aside, or tie it aside.
• Wash the region around the cow’ vulva thoroughly with soap, water and non-irritant antiseptic
• Whenever the cow defaecates stop, wash the area clean, and wash your hands and arms again
• After putting on a glove cover it with lubricant
• Insert your gloved hand slowly and gently into the vagina, taking care not to rupture the waterbag if it is still intact.
• If the calf cannot be felt, check if the cervix is dilated, check if the uterus is twisted (if so the tissues will feel soft but it will be difficult or impossible for your hand to enter the cervix. The wall of the vagina may feel to have spiral creases in it. )s
• If a twisted uterus is suspected call your vet.
• If a limb can be felt decide which limb it is and its position. A foreleg has the first two joints bending in the same direction, a hind limb has the first two joins bending in opposite directions.
• If several limbs can be found check if they all belong to the same or different calves

Consult your vet immediately if

• No visible progress has been made 2 hours after the appearance of a water bag
• The cows back becomes dropped instead of arched
• Straining stops after calving has appeared to be normal for 3 -4 hours
• You have doubts about the presentation of the calf
• You expect difficulties or problems for any reason.
• If the calf appears to be oversized in comparison to the size of the cow, or if an abnormal presentation has been identified, consult your vet.

If all this transfers to the board ok I will try to follow up soon with how to care for the newborn calf and the cow immediately after the birth.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

hi adam, we usually go for fists fitting in the hollows at the sides of her tail, within 24 hours your calf will be here thats for sure and how we tell amonst other things if shes had calves before she should be fine. good luck n dont panic jean jordeth
j.nuttall
LISA

Post by LISA »

Dear Adamsbridge,Don't forget you could also contact the breeder/seller you bought your cow from at Melton.Most people would be more than happy to offer you advice.
Adamsbridge

Post by Adamsbridge »

Many thanks for your advice. Duncan, I thought that I was pretty well prepared until I got your post - short panic, read it twice and calmed down. After a bit of running around (and more than a bit of flapping!!) I am nearly there... And not a moment too soon! Looks like it is imminent... Could be on night watch again! Must not panic!! She knows what she is doing, even if I don't :D . If only they were as easy as pigs (saying that, I have also spent 4 hours weighing and vacuum packing pork today). I suppose everyone has their first calving. Will let you know how we get on. Lisa, embarrassed to say this, but I hadn't thought of that. I think that you may be that previous owner (Littlebones Daisy?) If a different Lisa, apologies... 2+2 doesn't always make 4. :) Best go and check for any progress. Thanks again, Andy
LISA

Post by LISA »

Dear Adamsbridge,Yes you did buy her from us at Melton.If you give me a ring 01522 778634 I will be more than happy to offer advice.Don't forget Daisy has calved before (calf was alive and well!)I look forward to speaking to you.
Best Wishes Lisa Bell.
carole

Post by carole »

Good luck with the calving Andy, I'm sure everything will be O.K. Duncan your list reminded me of something, do you or anyone else know where I can buy long calving ropes. I picked up a set at mole valley but when I came to use them they were really short and very tricky to use. (Fortunately we still had a good outcome). When you buy them they are all in sealed packets and you can't see how long they are?I don't want to start tying extra bits on. Thanks
Callington, Cornwall
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Carole,

I expect what you have bought is the ropes designed for use with the calving jacks, which should be rarely needed in Dexters. Good animal health outlets should stock a variety of others including lambing ropes which to be honest I find easier for getting round heads if needed than thicker calving ones. You probably want 8mm ropes, they should come singe or double ended - ie a loop at one or both ends. Usually in a variety of colours too, white, red, blue or green. Your vet should be able to supply too, I would order in such things if requested and we did not have the exact ones in stock.

In the main bit I posted I left out respiratory stimulants such as Dallophyline gel or Dopram-V drops, which are very good for getting breathing going in calves or lambs which have had a difficult delivery.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
carole

Post by carole »

thanks Duncan advice much appreciated as always.
Callington, Cornwall
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Hope your calving is as painless as mine yesterday. Opened the barn door last night & there was an adorable little heifer calf clean & dry in her mum's hay & obviously had a feed. Totally stress free for everyone.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Adamsbridge

Post by Adamsbridge »

Just realised that I know nothing! Daisy hasn't calved yet, but is really showing now! The cow in the pen next to her has had a heifer. A bit early, but seems well. Got it to drink, so I am a bit calmer now. I just hope that daisy calves soon.
Adamsbridge

Post by Adamsbridge »

Louisa, thought that you would like to know that the heifer is from Zanfara Dixie. A darling, big bright eyes and long lashes - tiny but has really long legs! Mother has become far more friendly since she has calved:).
Thanks again for everyones help and support. Regards, Andy
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Indeed delighted to learn you have some of my breeding. After 2001, I'm always happy to know where some of my herd lines are, in case I ever need to get them back in again. It was very unfortunate that Graham Walker had to disperse his Dexter herd and even worse timing that a month later the Northern Farming Gazette ran a feature on his Dexter enterprise.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
ann

Post by ann »

One thing Duncan didn't mention in his calving kit was a bottle and calf teat preferably a nice soft one. for peace of mind especially if your calf arrives in the middle of th :) night its always worth milking a couple of pints from the cow and giving it to the calf, that way you can go to bed assured that the calf has had some colostrum, I had one arrive this morning and she was being a bit clueless so a bottle of milk got her firing on all cylinders. :) :)

there's something special :) about calves at this time of year they make spring seem not so far away and their antics brighten up the dull days. :)