Downer calf - Any advice?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Last Tues I had a heifer calf that couldn't stand up, her front legs just were not working. Duly called vet out, who thought it was a bovine version of something akin to meningitis & left various courses of injections. Thought the poor little thing was going to croak on Thurs but she's since rallied. I'm getting her mum in twice a day so she can suckle, she's nibbling hay & taking water. I'm doing a bit of simple physio, either putting her across a bale so her legs can straighten out or slotting legs through a hurdle so she's right way up. She can wiggle all four legs but can't yet stand on any of them. Has anyone experienced anything similar? She's a weight to move around and it's hurting my back but I'll persevere if there's a chance she'll recover.
I've had something similar with adult sheep but they have a 2:1 chance of either getting better without help other than food or pegging out within a week.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
welshdexterboy

Post by welshdexterboy »

Has there been any improvement on the calf Louisa. Sorry to say I have never come across it before or heard of it with anyone else (thank God). Will you try and keep it going to see or will you make a decision shortly?
Rob H
Snipesbay 32350
Pembs
LISA

Post by LISA »

Dear Louisa,When I used to work as a relief milker at a local Fresian Farm they had a heifer calf born similar.She looked completly healthy apart from not being able to stand up at all.She would only be able to lay flat out,although would try and move.We tried everything including massage like yourself (and prayer!)She tested positive for IBR and BVD which the vet thought was the reason why,and very sadly she had to be put down at 10 days old.
I hope there is a better outcome for your calf.It is Sods law that these sort of things always happen to Heifers/good 'uns!Good Luck
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Just to clarify, this heifer was born OK and is over a month old (that's why she's so heavy!). I'd turned them all out on the previous Friday to stretch their legs in the sunshine and she was happily galloping around with the rest of the herd. The place where I found her last Tues am was not where I'd seen her the night before, so she couldn't have been down for long, which is why I got the vet out.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've had something similar twice with lambs. The vet said the one was probably meningitis. I didn't ask the vet about the other. I kept bottle feeding it for a week or more and she recovered although the she looks a bit stunted now she's grown up. Other one was OK as well.
Clive
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Vitamin E deficiency - "white muscle disease" ??

duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Local farmer thought much as you Duncan, but if so why didn't the vet think that?
What's the best way of getting Vit E/Selenium into her, as it's got to be worth a try.
She's a very hot cross baby today as she really wants to get up but her legs won't do what she wants. There's nothing wrong with her tail! She seems to rest in the day when mum is outside but does a lot more shufflebottom at night when mum is in with her, possibly to avoid being trodden on.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Inject, but you can overdose so check what you need, I routinely do mine at birth. I had something similar many years ago, and found all mine were deficient, I give 1 ½ ml at birth. I thought your case was at birth so didn’t associate it with my experience.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
helen salmon

Post by helen salmon »

Louisa, I keep wondering how your calf is doing?
Helen
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Poor little mite died. Not wholly unexpected. She was managing to shuffle round the pen on her knees but got her head jammed through the side gate overnight and was dead by morning from, presumably, a combination of hypothermia and lack of food/water. Mum is still going nuts looking for her.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Inger

Post by Inger »

I've found its easier on the cow, if you leave the dead calf with her for a couple of days, so that she can get used to the fact that her calf has died. Poor things. They need time to grieve.
Inger
NZ