putting cow back wit bull - query

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
tim z

Post by tim z »

my three year old cow calved last saturday with a niece little heiffer.the thing is the other two incalf cows were bullying her so i moved them into another field .both the cow and the bull i have, have to be retested (IRs) next week for TB. i dont want her straight back in calf .what do you think about putting them togeter for the next few days(until 14th)?whats the chances of her getting in calf that quickly?
tim z
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

i do beleive there is some kind of specific date, not sure, 42 days comes to mind after calving, certainly a couple of weeks after you should be safe.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

I did have two sisters with only nine months difference in their ages, but it is very rare and you would be very unlucky if she went to the bull, although not impossible.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I think 56 days is the recommended from memory? I calve in group and within a groups there's quite a lot of variation, so when the group is put back to a bull (normally the same group kept as it was), then they are actually anything from just calved to say 9 weeks. But in practice, like Beryl says, I've only ever had one cow calve close to 9 months so far.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1241804664
Clive
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Quite a few significant dates being mentioned here which are of breeding significance. 56 days is the time from which you should be having a cow served in order to keep to 365 day calving interval. 42 days is the time by which you should have seen cows in season but not get them served. If they have not been on by then it is time to have them looked at if you are trying to run a tight ship as far as calving intervals go. But at the end of the day a cow can conceive very close to having calved, though the percentage settling to very early service is low. But sod's law would indicate that if you do not want the cow to conceive she will.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Inger

Post by Inger »

Ours don't seem to cycle until a couple of months after calving, depending on the weather.

One Spring it was so wet all the time (you know that kind of Spring) that it was common amongst a lot of the farms up our way, especially the dairy farms, for the cows to start cycling late that year. The sun didn't arrive until the first week of January. Three months late.
Inger
NZ