Requently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

I have previously suggested (on the old board) the creation of a FAQ page or two covering very simple info for beginners (or slow learners like myself). Things like the different leg lengths, different colours, horned and polled, simple genetics for the non scientist, winterfeeding requirements etc - for example, any topic that repeatedly came up on the old website.

Providing the content was kept reasonably simple and non-contentious (some chance) it might only take a few pages and would not need updating other than say annually by one of the experts like Duncan M.

It would certainly help a lot of beginners/web site guests who are too 'shy' to log questions.

Any thoughts? Any expert volunteers?

Peter
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Hi Peter, i dont know how good you are with coputers etc,
all you have to do with this new board is click on the search button at the top of the page,fill in the Keyword you are looking for,click on the bottom to search from the beggining of the boards existance,then click search.
The resulting posts will come up,scroll thru them to find your Keyword highlighted in RED.
Quite simple really,modern technology!
mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Mark

Yes I can use 'search', but a Dexter beginner might not be very computer literate, probably doesn't know what questions to ask and if he types in 'bulldog' or 'horns' (in particular) would probably end up more confused than he started.

However, a side bar entitled FAQs leadimg to a few definitions, simple explanations? I appreciate it would take work to set up - but the maintenance side should be minimal.
It seems sensible to me but I am not the one who would do the setting up!

Peter
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Seventy one viewers as at 7 Dec - don't any of you have any comments/views on this suggestion?

Peter
Kathy Millar

Post by Kathy Millar »

Peter, I think your idea is great but perhaps Mark is too busy (I don't think he is retired, he looked too young when I saw him this September!). Maybe this is a good question to ask for AFTER Christmas??

Kathy
Kathy
Home Farm, Vancouver Island, Canada
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi all,
As frequently asked questions often have more than one answer, depending on your point of veiw, I believe the discussion board is the perfect vehicle.
You ask a question & you get (usually) more than one point of veiw, especially if the first reply you get is anywhere near controversial. If you only get one response then you must assume that this is correct or someone out there will dissagree.
I know the same subject can crop up a few times, but as we all know, there are a lot of people out there that just look and seem to be a little backward in placing a 'post' or replying to one. If everyday questions are removed from here, will these people ever be able to pluck up the courage to respond?

Martin.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hi Peter,
I thought an opinion of a new member that FAQs would be designed for. As I am a new, still wet behind the ears Dexterite and I have asked one or two rather basic questions in the last couple of months here goes.
In particular I asked about conformation and colour. Well it has to be said I was delighted with the friendly, helpful response from some very knowledgable members and it made me feel welcome. As there have been over 300 views to that topic others must have been interested in the replies also,surely not all new members!
Does the triviality of such questions bother you? Surely there is plenty of room for basic as well as more scientific questions. There are gaps in most peoples knowledge.
FAQs are I agree useful, point taken but it would be difficult to know which to put because whatever questions you put you can bet it won't answer all the ones new members would like to ask and of course alot of work for someone.
The personal touch I recieved from my replies was fantastic, it helped put me in contact with other members and feel part of this "Dexter Club" even though I don't have any Dexters as yet.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/