HELP!!!overdue calving

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Ros

Post by Ros »

We have a 27month old heifer who was AI 'd on the second of August 2008 .Her due date was the eighth of May but still not calved a week later.
She has bagged up and is obviously in calf.Is lateness a common occurence or should we be worried?
Advice asap very welcome!! Ros.
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

hi ros, don,t worry they can go up to nearlly weeks overdue, when the hugging,s sink in and you can get your fist in within 24 hours baby will be born, jean jordeth, let me know when it arrive,s gud luck
j.nuttall
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Ros,

By my calculation your heifer would have been due on the 12th, so she is only 3 days late, perfectly normal, she will probably produce a lovely calf but you are right to keep a good eye on her!

Stephanie :;):
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Ros

Post by Ros »

Hi Jean,thanks for reply its made me feel less worried .will let you know what happens. Ros
Ros

Post by Ros »

Thanks Stephanie,I used the Dexter bulletin gestation table. Summer 2007. to calculate the date.
Thanks again for your reassurance and she is certainly being well watched!! Ros
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

This is probably rubbish but I don't know whether cows can actually hold back the birth because they feel they are being watched, but mine always calves when I'm not there. Maybe I've got a bad reputation for my calving skills!!! It is rare to see one calving and if I do watch, I do it from a distance until they are committed.
Clive
Ros

Post by Ros »

Thanks Clive,we're keeping a close eye,but with the aid of a pair of binoculars.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I reckon they put it off a while if they want to Clive! Our dun cow was obviously about to calve last year but threw me off the scent by going off to graze, so I went in the house!!! It probably depends on their personality, how many calves they have had and your rappor with the particular cow.

In the herd of black and whites I used to have the "old hands" would often wait at the calving pen door when they were a few hours from calving. When allowed in, they would inspect the straw efficiently before lying down and getting the job done. Some would wait for you to go and heifers seemed to go off calving for a few hours when put in the calving pens.

This year our second calver waited at the field gate and as she had only had a caesarian before I was surprised. She walked alongside me and into the farm yard, inspected the straw bed in the pen, deemed it good enough and lay down, it was only a couple of hours later she calved and didn't mind us there but she is a bit of a pet.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Well there we go, only came in for a hour or so to see what was going on with the forum, did a few postings, and then went to to see my latest calf had just been born whilst I was sat at my computer!

Edited By Broomcroft on 1242407352
Clive
Inger

Post by Inger »

It wasn't until our third year of calving before I finally saw a Dexter calf being born. It happens so quick sometimes, that you only have to blink and you miss it. One of our cows seems to drop her calf in 10 mins. Her daughter was just as quick for her first calving.
Inger
NZ