re overdue calving ....Thank you

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Ros

Post by Ros »

Our heifer Serena calved at 5.30 this morning without any complications producing a really bonny heifer calf.Our first by AI.
A very big thankyou to you guys who took the time to help allay our fears.It really did make a difference to know there were people who were willing to share their experience and give advice.
Thanks again, Ros.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Ros,

Well done! I have been wondering how Serena was doing.

Any chance of a pic in a day or two?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
helen salmon

Post by helen salmon »

Hi Ros,
Well done.
You are right. having this board really is like having a friend beside you when you are not sure of something!
Helen
Ros

Post by Ros »

Hi Stephanie,will try to add some pics of Sylvia later.She is a beautiful little calf ,all legs at the moment.
We had a struggle getting mum to let her feed although she's bonded with her.I had to halter her while Edward(long suffering husband)put the calf to suckle.We haven't had this problem with our other first timers.So I am keeping them in for a while,is this a common problem? Ros
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Ros,

Sometimes a really good Mum keeps turning around so she can see the calf - then of course the poor thing can't suckle. If this is the case after the first few hours she will settle down. Or her udder could be fuller and tighter than the others and therefore perhaps tender, or ticklish, again it will settle quickly. Both of these are quite common with first calvers.

What has been happening - is she kicking the calf off? A bit more info might be an idea in case it isn't either of the above reasons!

A very difficult calving or caesarian can cause a cow to reject her calf, or show little interest in it but that doesn't sound at all likely in your case. Also if they have gone too long before getting their first colostrum, the drive for the calf to suckle reduces dramatically and it becomes harder and harder to get it to suckle from its Mum.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Well done Ros

I have personally found that suckling problems are restricted to heifers who do not know what to do and don't like being tickled as Stephanie says, but also with short-leg heifers/cows because the calf can't find the teats if they are too near the floor.

We have never had to help a non-short cow/calf that I can recall. The calf should just get up and suckle and quite quickly, say within the hour. If it was a tight or difficult birth, then maybe a bit longer.

Also, with the problem of it being a heifer, we have never had the problem return when they have a second calf as they seem to remember what to do. But you still may have the problem obviously if the cow has teats too near the floor no matter how many she has.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1242664167
Clive
Inger

Post by Inger »

It helps if the heifers are with older cows that are giving birth. They do learn by example. Normally they settle down and let the calf suck. So as long as the calf hasn't been through a difficult birth and is too low on energy to keep trying, the two of them will work things out.

I have, on a couple of occasions, had to give the calf a small feed of colostrum to get them up and going, so they'll keep trying to suck. They're usually feeding like a pro the following day.

And yes, when a cow gives birth to her second calf, she knows what she's doing, so unless its a difficult birth, she'll be fine. There's always an exception to the rule, but generally, once they've gotten through raising their first calf, they're fine with successive calves.
Inger
NZ
Ros

Post by Ros »

Thanks everybody,both cow and calf are doing fine today.
Thanks again for your concern and advice ,it has been most appreciated.Ros