loading - moving cows

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

bought some new dexter,s yesterday angels in the field, but 2 wouldn,t load no matter what we did, we basically had to lift the legs on one had a calf but wouldn,t budge 2 hours later away we were! Never had this problem before. Loaded some today in 2 minutes.Lots of words were said jean jordeth :)
j.nuttall
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Had the same problem once, so when I got them in the pen behind the trailer, I turned the other way and just stood there with my back to the cattle, and they then walked onto the trailer.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

It doesn't pay to be in a hurry does it!

We have always employed a similar relaxed method, try to point them in the direction of the ramp and don't shout, push, poke, prod etc. They usually have a jolly good look and sniff and then walk in.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Inger

Post by Inger »

No it doesn't, does it. The more of a hurry you're in, the more they play up and do the opposite of what you want. The only way to make things go smoothly, is to play it cool and don't let them know that anything special is going on. Just a normal paddock move - until they're in a position where they can't do anything about it.

It has to be mind over of matter, cause they know you can't force them bodily. They're too heavy. Food works quite well as an incentive. Or in the case of a bull, a cow works just as well. :)
Inger
NZ