white flecks in black coat

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

I have recently noticed that one of my black heifers has developed a sprinkling of white hairs along her back, and I was wondering if this is usual? She is 4 years old and has been shown previously but this may now halt her showing career. Reading the breed standards it seems to be a large area of white in certain places is frowned upon. Has anyone else had a dexter that has started showing white hairs? Is it likely she has passed this onto her offspring also?

with interest,

Natasha :)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We've got a line with white hairs in the black coat and it has been passed down in the progeny every time. They are one of our best beef lines which I doubt has anything to do with the white hairs, just mentioned it.
Clive
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

My foundation cow had a few white hairs in her coat too, so it crops up throughout her descendants. In the days when I did a lot of showing, I never had a judge put an animal down for that reason.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Black cows carryng dun occasionally have white ticking in their coats but usually all through the body coat, not enough to give a roan or grey look, just ticking.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Martin

Post by Martin »

I have the answer to your problem, its called 'Cherry Blossom Black'.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
davidw

Post by davidw »

In this great summer weather it needs to be the waterproof variety of Cherry Bloosm Black
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick