Melton Sale 2009 - schedules available

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Schedules are now available from Melton Market for the Traditional Native breeds sale on 11/12th Sept 2009
The entries can be made online, www.grassroots.co.uk/melton.html
Website www.meltonmowbraymarket.co.uk
01664 562971
Online entries close 2nd August 2009
This is an official DCS sale, all cattle will need to be inspected by 2 DCS inspectors.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
justmalc

Post by justmalc »

Hi Mark,

I know the market are looking this year at running another sale on the same day but possibly in another ring with stock which are not halter trained. I'd be interested to know if any buyers or sellers are likely to be interested in this section of the sale which could be used for selling or buying steers/commercial style Dexters?

I'll let the market know if there looks to be interest. I know they are canvassing other breeds and there is clearly a market for Dexters not trained on the halter.

Malcolm.
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Lets hope that there are lots of excellent Dexters at the show and sale and also lots of buyers! We are thinking of selling one of our heifers but still undecided at present, it probably will depend on what sex her calf is when it arrives! :) Look forward to seeing lots of familiar faces anyway.

Natasha
justmalc

Post by justmalc »

By the way did everyone notice that at Melton this year as well as the pedigree haltered sale the market are running on the same day a sale of un-haltered cattle.

The sale of cattle not on halters will take place in the fat stock ring and will follow on after the sale of halter-led cattle in the bottom ring. Breeds will go through the second sale in the same breed order as the first.

This should be a good opportunity for buyers and sellers who do not necessarily need their cattle to be halter trained to buy and sell stock. As the majority of Dexters aren't halter trained I hope this part of the sale will be well supported. It could be the opportunity to sell or buy steers (I could do with a few myself) and other cattle not previously available at this sale simply because they could not be led on a halter.

Entries close on July 27th.

Regards,

Malcolm.

Edited By justmalc on 1248022267
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I just need to highlight the fact that the sale in the 2nd ring for "non haltered cattle" is not part of the DCS sale. As such the buyers need to be made aware that whatever stock goes throught the 2nd ring will NOT have been inspected and possibly may be non registered stock.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Of course Mark, it must be a case of buyer beware, but it can only be for the benefit of the breed to have a sale which has potential buyers in tow, rather than casting them out to be sold in an ordinary mart with a likely lack of any interest and consequent disastrous prices.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I am not buying or selling there this time, but I really welcome a proper sale such as this for quality beef dexters. I didn't know about this sale apart from Malcolm telling us, so I wonder how many will turn up and hope that a shortfall doesn't get taken as a failure and then give up.

I'm not ready yet, but in future years I would almost certainly be bringing a trailer or even lorry load of my best beef heifers for sale for breeding, as I do with my sheep, as I have no outlet for breeding heifers other than private sales. I can't keep them all and some are too good to be beefed which is what I am doing a lot of the time.

Prices for good quality breeding sheep at our market are better than pedigree at the moment by quite a way. More and more people are wanting dexters 100% for beef and that is reflected in high prices, so I would hope that this sale in the future would get good prices going if the animals are up to it. But it needs to be repeated and well advertised, and not give up if the first few years aren't any good.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1248112891
Clive
justmalc

Post by justmalc »

Clive,

I will pass on your comments to my brother who works at the market. Sorry that you can't make it this year.

The "commercial" element of the sale was mentioned in adverts run in the Farmers' Guardian but it possibly wasn't emphasised enough. Hopefully Dexter breeders who have previously been put off by the need to halter train their stock to enter in this sale will pick up this correspondence and enter suitable stock.

Regards,

Malcolm.
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

we keep both non- and halter trained but they are all registered pedigree for now! Why are non-haltered not inspected, some are as good as the trained ones? Who makes the rules? we are trying to promote the breed or are we.jean jordeth :( ???
j.nuttall
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I think that the non haltered cattle are technically not part of the DCS official sale, so the decision will be the auctioneer's.

But from the point of view of a DCS inspector it can be very difficult and dangerous to try to do the sort of close inspection which is normally done on the haltered entries in the official sale. I have been in the position more than once at Stoneleigh and at Melton of not being able to inspect animals because they were nervous to the point of being dangerous to try to handle in a pen. Some animals had to go through the ring described as "visually inspected only" - meaning roughtly that I had not been able to examine their teeth, or udders for example.

I do know of course that not all non-haltered cattle are as wild, but the haltering usually implies a certain degree of control is possible.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

A reminder entries close on-line this weekend, paper entries already closed today.
go to
www.grassroots.co.uk/melton.html
or the Melton Mowbray Market website.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Final reminder, on-line entries close tomorrow, sunday 2nd.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
LewisMoore

Post by LewisMoore »

i'm tryin to enter a steer in to the commercial side of the market but the online page says he does not exist? can anyone help i have rung the market several times but nobody there really knows what to do either.

Lewis
Lewis Moore
Brinkley herd
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Sadly Lewis it's probably too late to do anything about it. You could phone the market on monday and bend their ear.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you birth notified him as being castrated he wont have a "N" number, so wont be on the grassroots system.

Presumably as a steer cannot become a registered bull it doesn't need a N number.

I now birth notify but dont tick the castrated box, so all calves show up on a cows progeny list.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire