Is it poisonous?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
jem

Post by jem »

This year, I have found a lot of this plant in my grazing pastures. It appeared last year, although only in small quantities, but this year it seems to be everywhere! Neither the horses nor cows will eat it, but is it poisonous? I have been pulling it up just in case.
It grows to about 6-12", has a small pink flower, quite a woody stem and elongated leaves about 8-12mm long.
I would be grateful if anybody can help.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I searched the web recently to identify weeds, so I've looked at the site I used but can't see what it is. I found out that buttercups are very toxic, but presumably the cows avoid them, but they are fine when dead so can be included in hay.

If the cattle won't eat them, then they are possibly poisonous, but what happens if you make hay with them in it? Whatever it is, it is not on the injurious plant list, but neither are buttercups. Sorry not much help. Try a Google.
Clive
jem

Post by jem »

I also posted the question on the Wild About Britain website and one person suggeted it may be "Red Bartsia" and another suggested "Bartsia Serotina". I am almost sure it is one of these, probably the second as this grows mainly in the South.

There is lots of info on the web about Red Bartsia,
but very little about Bartsia Serotina and I can find no pictures of this to be sure. Red Bartsia is a is a weed of hayland, pastures and roadsides, is semi-parasitic and very difficult to control.

Assuming the two varieties are very similar I guess I'll keep on pulling it up!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Definitely looks like Red Bartsia, and it appears to be a Figwort which includes foxgloves. Doesn't look like it will affect your heart from what I can find, but I'd still wear gloves.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1250188215
Clive
jem

Post by jem »

Affect my heart...?! Oh dear, I've been pulling it by hand for the past couple of weeks without gloves. What symptoms should I be looking for?!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Symptoms; everything goes black, you fall over never to get up again. Happens to all of us at least once.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

You're still blogging jem so I'd just start wearing gloves tomorrow. I THINK it is only Digitalis Foxglove that increases your heart rate when you touch it, but I don't know any more than you, just looking at the web. Similar with ragwort isn't it, except that screws up your liver if you handle it a lot.

I get those symptoms, black-out, falling over, every Saturday night Martin and I'm still here :D.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1250195557
Clive
Martin

Post by Martin »

Its the 'never to get up again' bit that is different from the Saturday night syndrome Clive.
I understand where your coming from though, people think you may have a drink problem, you have a drink, fall over, no problem.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent