Woodmagic. - Longevity

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
acrossthesea

Post by acrossthesea »

Woodmagic Mallemuck 4th. This cow was one of the first imports into Northern Ireland. She was born 27-7-91 making her 18 years old. This year she has a heifer calf the same as last year. She is running with the bull again and looks well. Does any-one know of any Dexter older than this and still breeding regularly. There is a photo on Beryls site of this cow with a dun calf at foot taken by myself in 2004.
Howard Hilton (N.Ireland)
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Woodmagic Mayweed was 21 years when she was put down and calved every year. Mosscheeper also calved regularly until she was 20. The Dexter is a long lived breed.
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Woodmagic Mayweed was 21 years when she was put down having calved every year. Woodmagic Mosscheeper also calved regularly until she was 20. The Dexter is a long lived breed.
Beryl (Woodmagic).
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

When we had Bindalee Celtic Chieftain we were told that his dam was put down when it became obvious that she was not going to comfortably deliver her 22 calf.
She was Woodmagic Mourning Dove 2nd. I don't know how true the story is. Perhaps some Canadian breeders could help verify, or otherwise.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Does this sort of longevity apply to both chondro and non-chongro animals?
Clive
marion

Post by marion »

Margaret, I took a look at the Canadian online herdbook and here are some of the long-lived Woodmagic animals: Plover 2nd lived from Sept.1977 to October 1994, Wheatear April 1977 to October 1996, Mourning Dove 2nd Msrch 1977 to June 1996, Zephyr's Dodo October 1977 to October 1994, Morillon 3rd Sept.1977 to October 1996, Parula's Warbler 2nd Sept.1977 to June 1998, 21 years - she had 12 registered offspring, the first registered born in 1981,the last one registered was born in 1996..marion
Marion Cdn.
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Very interesting Marion. Thank you for that. I wonder how old ours would get to if we let them, but I'm not convinced that I want to find out.
I worked at an abattoirs for 3 months many years ago and that put me off ever letting animals get too old. Most old stock have internal conditions that would cause us at the least discomfort, sometimes even agony.
I'd be OK with old cows so long as they are still breeding OK, keep good physical condition.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/