Cattle halters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Can anyone recommend a UK source of rope cattle halters suitable for Dexters - everything I have 'googled' seems to be leather show quality. While I am asking, has anyone managed to find a source of cattle weigh bands?

Peter
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Have you got a local farmers co-op or agriculture/countryside store they usually have simple rope halters for cattle and sheep. Simple, that is, until you come to put them on, if you get it right first time I hope you'll let us know - it would be one of those unique events worth mentioning. I don't know about weigh bands, I bought a couple of weigh bars a few years ago when I needed to weigh the alpacas fairly precisely, with a suitable cover they are fine for Dexters but on the pricey side.
andy

Post by andy »

Hi Peter.

Try
http://www.farmrite.co.uk
They have an excellent postal service, usually next day. The products I have used have all been good.

Andy
andy

Post by andy »

Re above post. Farmrite do weighbands as well at £4.50 + vat.
Andy
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Thanks Andy -good site. Does anyone have experience with leaving head halters permanently on - do they tend to snag on fences etc?

Peter
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I wouldn't advise leaving them on, Peter. I have tried myself with a horse head collar but it was not a success. I also tried a cow neck strap, such as the dairy folk use to carry numbers or feed transponders, but it made the cow very very wary every time I got anywhere near, not easier to get hold of as I had expected.I have come to the conclusion that getting the animal used to walking and being handled includes getting its confidence enough to be eaiser to catch. If I am doing it whilst they are out in field I usually set up a small pen with gates to trap them with food and most will learn to come in for a bite, don't try to catch them every time though.
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
ann

Post by ann »

Hi

I have given up on horse halters as they never seem to stand up to the wear and tear cattle give them, instead I get my local rope shop to make me polypropyle halters with about an 8' trailing length and heifers I want to lead train after weaning I just leave them on when they come inside, then I can put my foot on the rope as I walk by them and because they tend to stand on them their selves and the other cattle do to, they get use to the halters and are much easier to train.

The halters do tend to get rather dirty in the winter, but this practice certainly works well for me.

Ann