BTB Test - Reactor Found

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi all so fed up! On Friday a TB reactor cow was confirmed in my tiny herd of 3 cows and 2 calfs. I have been told that Defra will send someone to value her and then collect her. She is fully papered thank fully. We had this same cow PD'd on Monday and she is not in calf. Can someone tell me what the chances are of the rest become reactors? :(
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Thats not what any one wants to hear. i would be devastated.

when will this F-ing government get something done about TB.

Duncan will be your man to answer your question.

sorry

dom
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

The smaller the herd the harder it is. I have just heard from the owner of a single milk cow just condemned.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Julie,

as Dom says none of us would like to get such news, very hard to bear, but do push on and take things a step at a time. I don't think anyone can tell you what the others are going to do, but try to get specific advice from both your private vet and the ministry vets on what measures you can take to reduce risks. General biosecurity measures are important - when you have formed your herd, try to keep it as separate from other stock as you can, try to breed your own replacements and if you do need to buy in try to get from a herd which has not had any trouble from TB in the past. There may be ways to ensure your cattle have as little possible contact with badgers too - especially feed troughs. You may be able to get feed back on extent of lesions in the cow when she is slaughtered. If she has been held in a shed in isolation pending decisions be really thorough about cleansing and disinfection, if possible do not have the others in that particular area. I think it is not unusual to get some inconclusive reactions in a herd following an active case so do not be too surprised if there is one - it may well just be reaction to exposure rather than active infection.

I am not sure what basis valuation is done on these days as we see so few reactors here - if there is room for any negotiation remember that a pedigree animal is worth what it will cost to replace with one of similar quality - it may well be more than purchase price.

I get really angry when I think how small a problem TB was at the beginning of the 1970's, and even then they knew that badgers were involved. It would have been such a small issue to deal with then as it only involved a few parishes of Somerset and Gloucester. My heart goes out to everyone trying to keep cattle in the affected areas.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi thank you for your kind words and advice. There is one problem, I have tried to keep her seperate but she was so distressed I had to let her out. She is not all that people freindly anyway and taking her away from the herd took an absolute age. I have some help coming tomorrow to put her back in but it will be so upsetting as she gets so upset and quite dangerous. I have tried to think about where the cattle are fed and my bio security on the farm. The only thing that leaves the farm on a regular basis is my pigs. No other cows on or off approx 10 months, since the bull left. The cows eat up in the paddock near the house and I would be very suprised if badgers came this near to the house.

The vet was surprised at the size of the reaction and a second opinion confirmed the worst. I could really do with some advice please on how to settle her while keeping her seperate.
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi I have just spoken to another farmer who states that by seperate they do not need to be in. If this is the case I have a paddock that runs along the main feild which means that the cow can at least see the others. I would welcome an opinion from others on this please
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Definitely do not need to be indoors, but should be separate from the other cattle. The vet who did the test and knows your set up may be able to give advice on where to isolate her, in sight of friends a definite plus as long as she is not a jumper, or liable to hurt herself trying to escape. At the end of the day they were all together up to the test day, and you may say is it really so important, but if she is not kept away from the others after you know she is a reactor there may be complications if you do have any more. I have known the ministry vets threaten that there would be no compensation if IR's were not kept isolated but it was a case of a farmer being deliberately difficult - talk to your vets, and ask about time scale of events as well.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

That's bad news. I thought the compensation was taken directly from a compensation table. Here is the latest http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2009/091101.htm, assuming it is a cow from the beef sector, not dairy. I would say dexters are beef because there's no dual-purpose section and they aren't listed as dairy anywhere that I know of, including in the dangerous bulls list.

So a cow that is pedigree seems to get somewhere between £1600 and £2200 if I read it right?

Edited By Broomcroft on 1257700999
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Sorry can't edit the gobble-de-gook I just posted. Meant to say that the values I have quoted are assuming it's a beef sector animal, not dairy.
Clive
dizzydex

Post by dizzydex »

Hi, I have just spent 2 hours trying to get her into the other paddock on her own and then trying a plan B to put them all in the paddock and get the others back out again leaving her in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its very dark and I failed. I am certain that they had been tipped off. Tomorrow I will have some help. Thank you for confirming that she can be outside, this is some kind of comfort. It will all be ok tomorrow.
Best wishes
Julie Dronfield
www.fieldsoffood.co.uk