liquid molasses

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
clacko

Post by clacko »

does anybody no where you can buy it in 1000ltr ibc's or go and get an ibc filled with it. paul
paul , victoria & laura claxton
snarehill dexters
Woodmagic

Post by Woodmagic »

Mole Valley Farmers sell it, any good agricultural merchant should stock it.
Beryl (Woodmagic)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

What do you mix it with Paul? and what's an ibc?

Edited By Broomcroft on 1257927671
Clive
Martin

Post by Martin »

An ibc is an international bulk container, it has a plastic square container on a pallet with a metal cage to protect it, it is used to transport liquids, normally 1000 litres.
You can pour it over 'not so good silage/hay to make it more pallatable. If Caroline feeds chaf to her horses it will have molases mixed in. You can also feed it in ball feeders (a container with a ball protruding that the animals can lick) :p the ball floats in the liquid and as the animal licks it will turn keeping it covered in molases.
Molases is a very sticky sugary liquid that can be difficult to use when the weather is really cold as its viscosity changes whith temperature.
It is a high value feed and is a by product of the sugar industry.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Cheers Martin. I use ibc's as water-bowsers, but didn't realise that's what they were. I think I will try molases in ibc's. Excuse my ignorance but I've been totally grass-based since we started, so if it isn't grass I don't know much about anything to be honest. After three years of bad summers in a row, we're now very limited on anything of quality so got to get feed value from elsewhere.
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Wynnstay (Midlands) do a version called Allstock for general use which is just over £300 a tonne. A 1000 litre ibc of molases is apparently 1.25 tonnes. Their product code 2146. They also do high protein versions and different sorts for different applications.
Clive
clacko

Post by clacko »

thanks clive, ibc and molasses as martin explained. what i want it for is and aditive to a home mix which we mix daily, it is a good source of energy and i use it to moisten dry and dusty feed like rolled cereals, if you buy it through the horse feed channels it works out at nearly a £1 per ltr for a 25ltr drum. it can be used alone as a supplement in a ball type lick and i like to give cows in milk a bit as an energy boost, just been stuggling to find a local supplier in 1000ltr size containers,or being able to fill a ibc. it is very pallatable and the cattle go mad for it. should be seriously cheap at the mo as the beet factorys are stuffed up to the hilt with sugar and molasses and cant get rid of it quick enough, they wont deal in small quantitys just large bulk loads

Edited By clacko on 1257968959
snarehill dexters
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

our feed supplier decided to add some molasses to my pig blend to cut the dust out. i noticed it was a different colour, but the driver said it was correct. he blew 4 tonnes into the hoppper and the next day we started to use it, it was fine but the wheat and barley were more stuck together.
the next delivery arrived the next week, blown in and driver left, i went to open the hopper and nothing came out. it had sat over noght and set solid, someone had added too much molasses!
the feed rep had to come out and help poke and bang it out.

they were more careful with the recipe after that.

dom
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

There is a thin syrup GMO Free by-product from bioethanol production called DCS syrup, or DDG syrup. Do you have access to that?
42% dry matter, 15-17% crude protein, 7-8% crude fat , 70% non fibre carb, <1% neutral detergent fibre, 15-16mj/kgm ME.
It tastes like tamarind concentrate but leaves an unpleasant after-taste. I tasted it. Our friend's cows love it. We haven't used it yet, but will if we have a need.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Crikey dom, you're having 4 tonne's a week....how many pigs have you got and what make are they?
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

gloucester old spots and berkshires. the 4 tonnes a week feeds my veal bulls aswell. its a barley wheat mix with biscuit meal

we have 15 sows all producing 10 piglets twice a year, alot of mouths to feed!!
oakwell

Post by oakwell »

Just bought some this week up in Yorkshire, you take your own drum the price around here at the moment is £175.00 per tonne. Hope this gives helps
clacko

Post by clacko »

just been quoted 38p ltr in own drum or 40p ltr deliverd in ibc. hmm should be cheaper than that really
snarehill dexters