Rent

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Can anybody offer an idea of the order of magnitude cost per acre of renting grazing land for cattle ?

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Penny

Post by Penny »

Around me, in the Vale of York, it costs £60-£90 acre for grazing season, inc water and decent fences. Poorer land should be less.
Hope this helps
Penny
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Slightly higher around here, £80 to £100+ an acre for good land. That is all year around, not grass keep, not sure which you are asking about but for some reason grass keep is no cheaper - in fact I have seen it make more, I don't know why!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
clacko

Post by clacko »

depends on what you are after, if you are looking for a good size lump where you can just open a gate and run them through and so on then quite a bit, but if you are prepared to take on smallish lone pieces (upto say 15 acres) then can be quite cheap. i have just took on 40 acres for a £1 a year rent, just so the landlords can claim there entitlements in the schemes they are in, i have also heard of graziers being payed to graze some areas for the same reason. its more about being in the right place at the right time or a case of who you know.
paul , victoria & laura claxton
snarehill dexters
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

As already stated it depends upon your local market conditions and local competition for land for equine use.

I have to pay quite a lot £100-£120 per acre per year for fields between 8 acres and 12 acres in size (well fenced with mains water) as they can get a lot more if they rented the land for equine use. I have recently had an offer from a semi-retired farmer of £50 per acre if I take on 20 acres plus.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Martin

Post by Martin »

I'm in Kent and have a number of agreements. A 5 acre plot with my buildings on is £360 plus VAT a year, 10 acres of pasture that I fenced £100 per acre, 13 acres pasture that I give about 20kg of beef, 23 acres that my neighbour has for hay which I graze for about 3 months £100 per month.
You just do you best to secure what you want, the only person that would know what was a good deal would be you! If you are happy to pay what is asked then take it, if not then walk away.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks for the info, that helps. Buying grazing land around my way is far too expensive. Riding access into the New Forest has pushed asking prices up to £26,000 per acre to buy.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest