OTM Dexters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

As I said in other threads, I have sent a couple of bulls off to an OTM abattoir to go into pies etc and got good prices even when they are well within the breed standard height-wise. I had to feed them up into good condition obviously.

But has anyone experience of cows for OTM because I'm about to send 3 off as they haven't got in calf?
Clive
Colin

Post by Colin »

I sent a 37 month old cow in August after she had weaned her calf. 206 kg dead weight and not too much fat. Tastes delicious.

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We have just sent a cow and heifer in, weights as below.

Jan 2004 born cow 242.6 kg dw grade -04H

She had become lame and was found not to be in calf.

April 2007 born heifer (guernsey/dexter cross) 198.8 kg dw grade -04L

She was going to be a house cow but hadn't held in calf.

Cow was in breed standard and had been out at grass since spring.

Heifer had been out at grass since early summer when her father left. thinner and lanky like her mother.

Just waiting now to see what price we get.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Just had my figures back for a heifer I sent off at 38 months because she wouldn't get in calf. She was very average size-wise. She went to one of the general big abattoirs and came in at 198kg DW and produced £498 minus costs of £15. They weigh them straight away and email you within hours with the figures, so compared to some butchers, you get heavier weights. I am guessing but the same animal would have been, say, 180-185 kg if sent to a butcher, but the price might have been higher, similar result overall money-wise.

She graded O+4L.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1259258398
Clive
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Do Dexters usually come in around -O to +O and 4?
Tim
Martin

Post by Martin »

At Ashford last week cull heifers under 48 months where average121.5 pence a kilo. Top price was 139.5 pence, both are liveweight prices.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Martin

Post by Martin »

At Ashford last week cull heifers under 48 months where average121.5 pence a kilo. Top price was 139.5 pence, both are liveweight prices.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Martin

Post by Martin »

Sorry Connection problems!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited By Martin on 1259264982
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Of the OTM I've done mostly were O's and one R, but I've forgotten what the grades are as we usually just go by looks. Bad stutter you've got there Martin, must be those Sussex cattle giving you a nervous condition!
Clive
Jim Taylor

Post by Jim Taylor »

I took a 5 yr old cow in yesterday because she developed a prolapse and the vet couldn't fix it. I rang this morning and was told she weighed 255 Kg DW but they will probably only offer £300 which I think is a bit of an insult. He said he will have a look at the carcass and ring back. If I had room in the freezers I would have it back of course, but don't want to buy another freezer.

Edited By Jim Taylor on 1259325137
The Biggin Herd
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I don't think £300 is bad IF she was fat Jim (I assume she was fat if she was prolapsing). The price can go down to 80p a kilo. I got £2.56 for this one. The bulls I sent before I got £2.00 but more money because they were 290 and 325kg DW.

I'm not sure about the pricing with OTM and whether it alters over 48 months. Our abattoir separates the 30-38 months olds and over 48 month olds. If fact they don't have OTM they just have two categories, U48M and O48M.

It is a bit of an insult though, or waste. I've been thinking of starting a Gourmet Dog Food business using my OTM's, supplying frozen diced real meat, grassfed to keep your pets in top health.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1259330301
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

PS. Can't edit my post. I think the 80p I quoted is when they are fat AND very small. 255kg isn't small at all so maybe £300 is a bit low? Pass.
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

You should be paid for your grade.
a -p grade will get a low price and so on. the abattoir will have a weekly price for the different grades but will make allowances for otm etc.

dom