Rain - More rain

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

It is so wet, I know I am lucky that my fields don't hold the wet particularly badly but it is falling so fast that the fields are a few inches deep in water some of the time!

There is still plenty of grass and clover there for them and they are doing OK but I still feel quite harsh leaving them out in the relentless rain.

The one field is the other side of a tiny stream which I cross night and morning with some Mag Rolls and a cheering dry slice of hay or two for small part of my herd. This evening I had several attempts to cross but my feet were being swept away by the current and my wellies were filling up, I had to go back for the landrover!

How are other people managing?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Issy

Post by Issy »

My little cow is in now on the yard with her offspring as the field is way too wet for them. They are very content and the last few days the gate was open the cow didn't go out very much as she doesn't like getting her feet wet at the best of times so when you provide hay so she doesn't have to she is as happy as larry.
Isabel Long
Somerset
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We have split ours into groups this year and kept grass untouched since mowing for as long as possible to try to prevent poaching - so far so good.

The first pic is of a small field that has the bull and one dry cow, she isn't due to calve for a long time and is in very good condition like him so, I don't think they need hay yet hay yet.

This pic below is where we are keeping a group of 3 that are on grass and clover and I move the trough once or twice a day but it is now very wet there and they will be moved Tuesday, they get hay morning and night and some Mag Rolls. The cow pictured isn't in very good condition and her calf will be weaned off soon, allowing her a longer dry period.

In this field there are just one cow and her young calf but there is very little for them to eat, so they are pretty much on hay and nuts. They are in there as there as the calf needs the shed to run back into.

Apart from these we just have 4 bulling heifers which are in at the moment getting used to being handled but 2 will probably go out in the next few days with the bull, if it improves a little.

We have a 2 acre paddock that they have spent very little time in which they will be turned back into and then a further 2 acres totally untouched since hay making and a tiny one that is also untouched that the bull and his harem will probably use.

So fingers crossed, if we don't get much snow, we are hoping we can keep most of them out this way for most of the winter without poaching the ground.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

That dun is a really nice cow Stephanie. The depth of body looks exceptional. If you're fed up with her I know someone who would take her off your hands if you ask nicely :). It's raining here as well, everything soaking wet, nearly all cows outside eating hay stood back to the rain.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1258884548
Clive
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thankfully in the south east we have not had as much rain as some. After a very dry summer and being on light land we seem to be coping well with the sometimes very heavy rain that we are getting at the moment.
My cattle are still out and eating grass, no hay yet but grass is getting short and I will bring them in rather than make a mess outside. I have three bulling heifers comming next Saturday and I wish them to have their battles for supremacy before I bring them in. I plan to give them a week to get used to each other then house them. I have two heifers due to calve in January (one very early) so they will have to be in before mid December.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Penny

Post by Penny »

My concern is epsecially for those in Cumbria. If anyone in that region is needing some help, just let me know.
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Lovely photos as always Stephanie.

I have just got in from an afternoon of fencing an despite all the rain it is only the surface that is wet. From three inches down I was having to use the fencing bar to get through every further inch as the clay underneath is still dry as a bone and rock solid.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

we are in southwest scotland, the rain has been relentless. even today we have had inches of rain. a neighbour has a rain gauge (ours gave up, and the wind gauge broke!!) from the 1st of november we have had 14 inches!!

what is going on. i think we had 4 inches over night last week.
half my herd are outside, the other half would normally be, but we were offered a shed by a neighbour, they have a cubicle shed with matresses designed for 180 ayrshires. the 19 cows and 18 calves barley fill a 1/4 of it.

if my outside cows had clean fields like that they would be over the moon. we have old quarry that i put the feed trailer in. it must be 8 inches deep in mud where they feed but underneath is hard stone. they have shelter from the wind and clean grass to lie on, and they are as happy as they ever are.

my rule of thumb is, that they need food, water, shelter from the wind and a dry lie, not under cover but somewhere not water logged. if they have that, no matter how cold, wet or windy it is i can sleep at night.

dom
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Dom, we know Dexters are tough but that amount of water would cause exasperation in you and your cattle.
Very kind of your neighbour to offer the shedding. Thoughtful neighbours are precious treasures, I reckon.
One of our neighbours, a beef farmer with thousands of acres, thousands of sheep, and hundreds of herefords, voluntarily came along with his tray truck and helped the contractors get our silage bales across a bog crossing and up a slope before rain made the job impossible. We have to get them under a netting roof in a hurry to save them from cockatoos tearing the wrap apart.
We don't get a lot of rain and all is usually welcome but fortunately this lot held off until our bales were wrapped.
I hope you get a dry spell shortly.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

helpful neighbours,

4 years ago we were makning small bale hay, our old international tractor gave up part way through mowing. it was the last hot hot weather we had.
i simply mentioned that we were having a little trouble and a ford tractor arrived to finish the mowing from a neighbour. it stayed with us for the turning. and then when it came to bailing i knew another neighbour had said he would help, but that morning 4 tractors and another baler arrived with 12 people. all our ahy was gathered that day.

a friend in need!!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Wow Dom - what a heart warming story!

However it tells another tale, you must also be a good neighbour and a nice guy, if you weren't the type to do the same if the shoe were on the other foot, they would have simply left you to get on with it and they would have most probably thought serve you right at the same time!!!

Stephanie

Edited By Saffy on 1259080688
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

This is a pic I have just taken as an exercise for a course I am doing - we need a self portrait! So here I am with my favourite cow Mallard. If you notice that my smile looks a little forced, that is because there is one rather important little person missing from the group photo - Mallards calf Moorhen who thinks the camera and the tripod that I have set up to take the photo - on a timer is an interesting toy! Fortunately the others prefer the food but only just.

Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny