Calving in Winter - Shut indoors or access to shed?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

I have a red cow due to calve mid january. I have moved her to a field with access to a straw bedded shed. Is it wise to shut her in completely or do people let such cattle out too? She goes into the shed but my concern is she would calve outside in the middle of a very cold night.

Your experiences would be helpful.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Its not easy but try and judge within a day or two of your cows calving and bring her in. It would be no fun sorting any problems out in the dark and snow!
You could not rely on her coming inside to calve of her own accord.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

A dairy farmer told me that a cow was about to calf (day or so) when the teats became very stiff.

I use this method, because I try to bring them into a safe yard to calve... so far it's been spot on.

Vicki
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Bring her in Mark. You don't want to be calving outside if this weather if you can help it. If you wait until she is about to calve, there's no time for her to settle to being kept inside and she may get a bit worked up. Get it over and done with now so she settles and feels at home. You could leave her out, and then the night she calves it'll be pouring with rain, freezing cold, not good. Maybe when you are there, you can let her out during the day and then bring her in again.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1261429309
Clive
108-1260406081

Post by 108-1260406081 »

as complete novices to calving we got our cows in prior . we then let them out every day and get them in at night . we had our first calf on the 18 novem and the second on th 12 dec both born indoors in the barn in a corner away from the others. our first cow was wonderfull very quite and although i missed the birth she didnt mind me being right next to her. the other old lady who calved in dec wasnt quite as keen and gave birt at 12.15 am id been waiting for 2 hours to see it i got so cold i just popped home to have a cuppa went back and there it was. what fun i had trying to see what sex it was with a half dead torch and a very protective mum. i am very good at the 5 bar high jump im almost upto olympic standar. lol . bring them in i think
Martin

Post by Martin »

Bring her in and let her settle. I have two calving in January and they have been in a couple of weeks now. Calving at this time of year I would not contemplate doing it outside, better for cow,calf and owner to be under cover.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Just for future reference, what sort of space would be needed? We have a 'spare' (depends who gets there first, my wife with another livery person or me with another good bovine reason!) foaling box which is a good 12 x 12. I had earmarked it for a good straw bed and to be used as isolation for a poorly cow or for calving. (Thought that when the horses are in it would provide a bit of company as well)
Tim