Finishing Youngsters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Just had a quick check on Farmers Weekly web site, retail meat w/e 12/12/09 as follows (pence per kilo)
Topside 918
Sirloin 1866
Rump 1202
Fillet 2827
Stewing 700
Braising 740
Premium mince 592
Standard mince 373

Your prices should be more than this considering demand and quality of the product. Be brave and don't undersell (there is no need to).
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've just run Martin's figures through my standard carcass model and it come to an overall price of £9.64 a kilo.

So in other words, if you're selling your Dexter Beef in standard mixed boxes for less than £9.64 a kilo, then you are selling for less than run of the mill beef in the Farmers Weekly guide. (I've calculated the average assuming all Dexter mince is superior mince, which it should be).

Overall average for Dexter beef from the more prominent suppliers on the web is now £12.02 per kilo.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1260612955
Clive
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We have had 3 young steers butchered in early november

Feb 08 born long leg 210kg dw.
Mar 08 born long leg 190kg dw.
May 08 born short leg 165kg dw.

We dont have the space to have kept them overwinter so they had to go.

After killing & butchering costs I think we still got a good return compared to selling as stores, even at below the above average price.

Its worth remembering that there has to be some incentive to the custom to take half an animal in one go instead of by the kilo from the butcher each week.

All our 2010 finishing steers are already spoken for.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Does anyone weigh their cattle before sending them to slaughter to compare liveweight to deadweight? What is the % killout? I'm sure this has been answered before but I am just curious as I have not sent any Dexters for beef yet and may have a couple of steers to sell fat later this year.

Natasha
pudser

Post by pudser »

Natasha,

If you go to the downloads section on Clive's website at www.broomcroft.info you should get loads of stats.
35% is given as the average meat to liveweight ratio.

Pudser
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Thank you, I should have known that Clive would have this sort of info documented. I have printed off the weights etc that I needed.

Natasha :)