Calving Interval

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've just plotted the dates of 184 births and measured the interval between each one. What is interesting is that the vast majority of births take place between 11 and 12 months after the last one. There are a very small number over 12 months and some of those will be because I held the bull back, and there are just 3 out of the 184 that are below 11 months.

The most common figure is around 11.5 months.

So even where I have put the bull back in within weeks after calving, and in some cases left him in their 24/7, it still comes down to the next calf being born about 11.1/2 months after the last one.

They really are primed for an annual calve which I sort of realised, but didn't appreciate quite how much. It gives me a more accurate calving date now taking when the bull went in into account as well, i.e. if he goes in early don't expect a calf early.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1268043743
Clive
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

I have found this also, our bull tends to run with the cows most of the year. One of our cows had her first calf in May, then her second in April and now looks immenient to calve again in March.

Natasha
pudser

Post by pudser »

I think its great to get a calf per cow per year and to bring them back a month each year indicates good husbandry.

If we take pregnancy as 285 days (guess) and most cows may cycle usually silent within 21 days and should show within 42 days all going well.
If the cow holds on first heat you bring her back a month approx on the previous year. Average conception rates are probably 60-65% so you are both very efficient

Pudser
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Sadly my best cow - a dun that is nearly 13 is not in calf. I thought she was empty and so got the vet a few weeks back, he said she had very small ovaries and so was not cycling and we could try a Prid.

I wondered if come the warm weather she might come on bulling of her own accord and she did come bulling last weekend but I am not sure she was bulling properly, she was a bit combative with the bull.

The reason I thought to wait and see was that Beryl Rutherford told me that Dexters - unlike more modern breeds - don't always cycle properly in the winter and then will come bulling properly again in Spring. My vet hadn't heard this and so I am wondering if I got what Beryl said confused in some way?

I really want this cow in calf as I want to breed my next bull from her.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Martin

Post by Martin »

Problem is Stephanie that if you want a bull you are almost certain to get a heifer, sods law I'm afraid. There seems to be a lot of it about in the stock breeding world!
But it is worth a try.

Edited By Martin on 1268210294
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Saffy, I had great trouble getting my first heifer in calf & since this was some years back, my then vet's advice was to wait until spring & increased photoperiod & fresh grass would improve cycling & conception. As a belt & braces approach, also used a "holding jab" and this worked, with the calf being born in January. Of course, ever since then, I've had January calves.
I really notice it with my herd that once they are turned out, if there is good sunshine, they all come bulling within a couple of weeks.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

:D Thought so - thanks Louisa - my Freisians were different!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Stephanie, two experiences of strange breeding habits:

One cow hadn't had the opportunity to reproduce when we aquired her at 4yo, but then required a chorulon before she'd conceive. The second year she conceived without help, but required chorulon again for a third calf. She did not go into calf naturally for a fouth so we didn't keep her going.

That cow had every appearance of being cystic. The vet couldn't feel anything but her tail head stuck up in the air like a cystic cow. She'd level out after a shot of B12+selenium, and stay level for six months at a time, but then she'd need another B12+S to keep her tail-head down. I have no idea why that works like that, but B12+selenium was miraculous in changing her shape, but did nothing to improve her breeding habit.

Another cow, an old girl who has refused to take to AI over several years, but had a calf OK last year to a bull, has not gone in calf to the bull this year. Because she is older and bred OK at her previous home when she was younger we will possibly consider a chorulon for her just to get the genetics, but have to think about that.

I think if the cow has, on record, been a good breeder before you knew her, and you have no idea of her feeding regime or treatment, it is worth a try to get her in calf one way or another. If she was a younger cow, with no history of having been a successful breeder, she wouldn't be worth the effort, because of the risk of breeding difficult breeders.

Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/