outwintering/ foggage

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
pudser

Post by pudser »

ann,

i think your system sounds great but when you you seed the grass and when is the kale planted?
Is seedind with grass wortyh the hassle /cost for one cut of silage?
I presume you are not in a temperate zone?

Pudser
ann lea

Post by ann lea »

The Westwold grass is planted at the end of March after the field has been ploughed and the Kale the end of June after the grass sward has been burnt off with Glyphosate. While the Kale is germinating and growing is the difficult time, weeds can be a problem and pigeons can be a nuisance. the Westwold grass is very quick growing but has a short life it would not overwinter. It also needs to be a free draining field. This regime is not suitable for many people. We are fortunate to have all the necessary equipment except a round baler. This system provides us with somewhere for the cattle to go in the winter with a good winter food.
Ann Lea
Wheeley Moor Dexters
pudser

Post by pudser »

In terms of hardiness and ability to thrive in poor conditions where would you rate dexters?
I imagine Highland are the toughest and then maybe galloways or dexters.
i see clive crosses angus but does anyone cross highland or galloway.

pudser
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I've kept 50 out all winter this year and they are fine. They have had only haylage, hay and high energy licks. Some have a bit of rain scald but I did not have to treat as the sun came out for a while. The batch included some that were recently weaned and they have gone back a bit. I probably won't put weaners out again. Otherwise nothing to report; no feet problems, nothing.

Can't comment on other breeds but Galloway have a reputation for being ultra-hard.

I've brought them in now to let the grass grow without them hammering it. Wishful thinking probably, looking outside :(.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1268397288
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Ive had one lot of cows in a neighbours shed, with their calves at foot, they had what looked like good quality haylage pretty much adlib.
i had the othe half out wintered on terrible quality adlib silage.
also my finishing steers on the hill with good silage and a bite of barley less than a kg per day.
the inside ones are in simialr condition to the outside ones. they are dirtier and have had a few foot problems. they have been in cushioned cubicles and slats.
outdoors are in fine fettle. this winter has been very cold but not wet and windy and they have thrived.
to me without any doubt the outside beasts have had a good winter. i will calve them outside as well.
the steers have been finishing all winter, we have pretty much had 2 away every month all with 4L cover.

we do have a belted galloway cross dexter heifer. she is brilliant. tough looking wiley wee thing with half a belt. i think she would survive in the hardest of winters. she is too fat, which will be a problem at calving.

dom
pudser

Post by pudser »

outdoors is your only man if the land can handle it .i recently visited a farmer who leaves everything out(galloways) on a high hill(commonage) and feeds nothing but a shake of sunflower expeller which he tells me is 32% protein.they have a big area to range and were in great condition.

Thats why I was wondering how dexters compare in terms of hardiness?would it be possible to do the same.
He dislikes silage as he thinks the cattle are slow to forage and remain around the ring feeder.

Its an amazing system which I would not believe if I had not seen.