dehorning crate

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
ann lea

Post by ann lea »

We made a false floor for our calf crate out of 3/4 inch ply. Height is no more than 20cms.
The crate came with a piece of 2 inch black webbing which is attached to the top of right side of the crate, we pass the belly strap under the belly of the calf and then attach to a metal prong on the top of the left side of the crate. The strap is just to support the calf so it can't go down, their feet should be able to touch the floor.
Good luck.

Ann Lea
Wheeley Moor Dexters
maniutek

Post by maniutek »

Thanks for that Ann Lea, we ve just brought an old cattle crush bought on Ebay from Midlands... and it need to have a new floor put in. I am not so keen on putting animals in restraints like that but it needs to be done for the vet... I am not buying calf dehorning crate as our herd is too small for such an investment just yet. we have to do with a crate and a pure human power! So I hope we can adapt it for the little ones.
Maniutek
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you are in the right place at the right time you can oftens get crushes, dehorning crates, even trailers at very good prices, and after a little refurbishement oftens get your money back when you upgrade or even make a bit of profit.

Thus the "running costs" of having a the gear that helps you with your herd can oftens be minimal.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Remember that for castrating if the calf is over 2 months old it must be done by a vet. Most Dexter calves young enough for the owner to be castrating are likely to be small enough not to need a crush.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Thankyou SteveM of Humberdale Dexters. Very interesting.
Margaret.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Martin

Post by Martin »

My vet does not like using calf crushes for any task. when de-horning we just put a halter on and tie the calf tight to a gate and hold on tight. did my Sussex calves like this last year one of which was 6 months old and quite a big lad.
The only time I have left males entire until they where 6 to 8 months old was with Dexters and we just crushed them between two gates and managed no problem (we did this with the calf crush sat on the other side of the pen).
I am no longer going to be castrating as there is a good market here for finished bulls and I am going to give that a go. They should finish without a second summer at grass allowing me to keep more cows.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

At what age will your bulls go to slaughter Martin?
Clive
Martin

Post by Martin »

Between 10 and 14 months.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Martin

Post by Martin »

Follow the link to an article which explains what I wish to achieve. It is the second article on the page.

http://www.sussexcattlesociety.org.uk/i ... age380.htm
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Martin - some very interesting articles and some good publicity for the Sussex breed, especially when tied in with an advert for a breed sale. All 3 articles appear to be from last year, did the society have a real push to get these published?

Has there been anythign similar for Dexter's? If so has anyone got copies?
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Martin

Post by Martin »

At the last Sussex AGM questions where asked ref articles like the ones on the site. It transpires that articles are sent in to different magazines on a regular basis, the problem is it is up to the magazine as to whether they are published or not.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I can't navigate the website. None of the links work. Running latest version of Safari. I have emailed the society to tell them. Those 12 month old bulls have good shape.
Clive