dehorning crate

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi everyone

I am looking for a calf dehorning crate, and as it is for a dexter does anyone know where i could find one suitable for their size or could anyone reccomend a make.

cyndy
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Cyndy, We use an IAE calf crate. Bought new it cost about £250 a few years ago. Any good crate would do as long as it holds the head/kneck well.

http://www.iae.co.uk/images/dehorner.wmv.

PS. I have to do a refresh or load this video twice to get it to work!
Clive
ann lea

Post by ann lea »

We have the larger IAE calf crate because we also have breeds other than Dexters. It is fine for non shorts but we have had to make a false floor to go in when we use it for the short Dexter calves.
Ann Lea
Wheeley Moor Dexters
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I bought a large IAE calf crush at a local farm sale about 3 years ago, was still wrapped in plastic as previous owner had never used it, as previous poster I have made a false floor for smaller dexters, and a replacement chin pad with smaller cut out.

Since then I found a small Ritchie crush http://www.ritchie-d.co.uk/content/calf ... ing-crates which fits small dexters better, is lighter but doesnt have the opening sides as the IAE, which we still use as the calves grow but are too small for the main cattle crush.

Have also seen at sales a similar size crush to the ritchie which has one side hinged at the bottom to close in onto the calf.

Edited By SteveM on 1264316112
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Small Ritchie size crushes 2nd hand at york machinery sales generally sell for £50-£100 depending on condition.

There is one on ebay now http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=....egories

Edited By SteveM on 1264318606
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I have an IAE dehorning crate, they work really well but as others have said it needs a false floor for the shorts.
Beware of choking on the neck yoke, make sure the airways are clear.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
paul c

Post by paul c »

Hi Cyndy
We also bought an IAE small de-horning crush that was supposed to be for Dexter's but I still had to put a false floor in it and my herd are non shorts. I did experiance one of my steer calves whilst being de-horned and castrated by the vet crashed with no vital signs and took so long to resuscitate the vet thought he had died, thankfully he is now a healthy 2 year old. Also a farmer freind borrowed the crush to de-horn his first 2 Dexters and had a similar experiance so beware. I would also like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem with this type of crush.
Paul C
ann lea

Post by ann lea »

We dehorn a large number of non Dexters plus 20 Dexters a year, so far, touch wood, we have never had a problem but we always use the belly strap and have an extra pair of eyes and hands at the rear end to guard against them going down. I think the danger is when they are young and low down in the crate so their throat is pushed against the neck support, we think the false floor makes it safer.

Ann Lea
Wheeley Moor Dexters
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

ditto - use the belly strap and someone else with a knee up the backside and your trousers tucked inside your wellies :D
Clive
maniutek

Post by maniutek »

Hello everybody, I ve just joined the forum! Can you please let me know how to make a false floor in a normal size crush to make it fit for Dexters? Are you using wood planks or something more sturdy? How to apply a belly strap? We have a vet coming soon to castrate two boys... :O
Maniutek
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

weve just done 7 of ours today, another 5 to go. as usual i left it a bit late and they had quite a big packet each so to speak. but all done.
being a decent size they all go through our standard crush. i stand in the crush and hold their tales up, vet crounches behind. my toes are a little sore!
also dehorned my bull to be, very strong horns, but what a difference he looks great and i am most excited about a sunnyside bred bull.

dom
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

maniutek wrote:Hello everybody, I ve just joined the forum! Can you please let me know how to make a false floor in a normal size crush to make it fit for Dexters? Are you using wood planks or something more sturdy? How to apply a belly strap? We have a vet coming soon to castrate two boys... :O
Welcome aboard manuitek. We use a normal crush for anything over 3-6 months depending on size, and a calf de-horning crate for youngsters with belly strap (which we rarely use, prefer someone behind). We haven't needed a false floor in either no matter how short the animal.
Clive
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Clive, I've never heard of a belly strap.
What's that like, what stock is it used on, and how does that work?
Why is a false floor required, and how can the animals choke?
I'm obviously not getting the right images of the equipment being used. We disbud and castrate calves but we must have a totally different set-up.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Calf crushes in uk tend to come in too sizes, for use depending on the breed and age of stock.

Most have a "V" shaped restraint for around the neck.

A false floor may be required for young stock in a larger calf crush, or even for short legged animals in a small crush to lift the animal so neck level is above the V.

Belly strap is normally a webbing strap attached to the crush sides that you pass under the rear of the calf to prevent it loosing its footing.

Oftens also have a 2nd strap to go around the rear to prevent animal backing up.

We have a small ritchie crush as below, but will still need a false floor in it to dehorn or latest "small" bull calf

http://www.ritchie-d.co.uk/content/calf ... ing-crates

click on "download operating guide" to see straps
Holderness
East Yorkshire
maniutek

Post by maniutek »

Hi Steve! How do you make a false floor to fit a small cow then? Does it have any anti slip surface? I am a total newbie when it comes to restraints so please tell me how you go about castrating a young bull in a crush! I will owe you a pint! Thanks :O
Maniutek